1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody here had a therapist who really gets it, really understands your thoughts

Discussion in 'Treatment & Therapy' started by recoveringfromptsd, Apr 20, 2018.

1. recoveringfromptsd

recoveringfromptsd I'm a VIP Premium Member

I recently changed therapists, and my new therapist is great, I gave her the benefit of old hospital records and a history of what happened to me which amounted to hundreds of pages, she actually took the time to read it all. In session it became clear to me she really gets it, understands my thoughts having the knowledge of what made my thoughts and cognitive distortions what they are.

I hope it all lasts, never had a therapist like this.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. littleoc

littleoc Making everywhere I go a better place Premium Member Donated

That's really great!

I have been in therapy for most of my life, and feel that most of my therapists really understood me, or at least tried to.

The best, though, was a physician who did sort of what you described. When I walked into the office, she had questions based on my medical record that she had read through the night before.

She ended up moving away, but I still remember her fondly :)

Therapists stay in the same places longer than physicians -- so I imagine you'll be seeing her for a while at least!

So glad you found a great one

4. EveHarrington

EveHarrington _______ in progress. Premium Member

Awesome!

I think my current therapist gets me, at least more than most I’ve seen in my life. (And that says a lot!)

bellbird and littleoc like this.
  5. Muttly

Muttly I'm a VIP Premium Member Donated

That's great.

My therapist really gets me. It's super helpful to have that.

mumstheword, bellbird and littleoc like this.
  6. BoN-bOn

BoN-bOn Well-Known Member

My T didn’t “get it” at first I don’t think. We hung in there with each other & now I don’t think there is another human being on this earth who knows my heart & mind as well as she does. Once that bond happened & we both let down our guard that’s all it took. Sometimes the connection doesn’t happen immediately I guess but I am so glad that I stuck it out & hung in there with her.

7. somerandomguy

somerandomguy Learning how to be myself Premium Member

Therapists who really get you are as rare as diamonds in the wild. I've probably been to 50 therapists in my life and my current therapist is, I think, the only one who's really gotten me.

bellbird, EveHarrington and littleoc like this.
  8. Eagle3

Eagle3 Well-Known Member

Yep, only one T has ever really "GOT" me, and I can't wait to be working with him again! I've been through several T's, and usually ended up fixing their problems for them...this one stays focused on me, and really understands me in a way I never thought possible from another human being. Those T's are special!

bellbird, BoN-bOn and littleoc like this.
  9. MyWillow

MyWillow Well-Known Member

I don’t get me so I don’t expect my T to get me. But she is trying and sometimes hits the mark so I’ll have to hang in there for a bit longer.

bellbird, BoN-bOn and littleoc like this.
  10. recoveringfromptsd

recoveringfromptsd I'm a VIP Premium Member

What usually happens with many therapists is they don't want to read anything, and proceed with you "dry" in session. I provided this therapist, with a 33 page write-up of my abuse history, and decades worth of S/I related hospitalizations records, as well as some other documents. So she could really understand what was "under the hood" to coin the phrase. She took the time to read it all (hundreds of pages). And I know she has taken a real internal understanding of my thought processes and where they come from, I know this because in session she pointed out the relationship to my past and my hyper-vigilance to what I was dealing with. To me this is special. I have never had anyone take that much interest to invest the time to read voluminous records. We have a no secrets relationship (so I won't be afraid to say things for fear of what might happen), we agreed if I was that open then we would address such things together when they come (even if that means inpatient), at least I would have choices and not forced. Today I established a similar open relationship on the same grounds. I even told him something that initially "do I have a safety problem that needs addressing". So both are working with me in a way where we all 3 are working together on the same page. I am very happy about that.

It is being tested right now, because this afternoon I got in the mail something that may very well bring my current place in life to a halt and leave me homeless again. Following the safety plan we put together. And will be trying to resolve this if possible from her office in session on Tuesday, I could do it earlier but if I do it in session if it does not go well, she will not want to let me leave her office as it will meet the criteria that has always ended up with me in hospital or php. Will see how it goes on Tuesday.

11. hithere

hithere Active Member

I have not had a therapist who "gets" me. It's actually very painful at times.

bellbird and littleoc like this.
  12. littleoc

littleoc Making everywhere I go a better place Premium Member Donated

I hope it happens for you soon

KwanYingirl likes this.
  13. Ronin

Ronin Dark Wings Premium Member

I've had psych savvy and/or educated friends who get various aspects I was (not) dealing with the most and helpful in that regard, and a few short times therapists that were great in validation / referral / restoring my faith in me when I had none and needed it.

Otherwise, formal therapists, no. I tend to take them as an exercise in mental self defense & switching tactics & dodging questions, these days.

somerandomguy and littleoc like this.
Show Sidebar