• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Anyone else experience fainting or seizures from extreme physical/emotional distress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I am newly diagnosed with cptsd and have been devouring Pete Walker's book. I'm a major dissociator, it turns out, and I'm now curious if my lifelong "habit" of syncope in response to extreme stress is a mechanism of dissociation. I've fainted over 250 times in my life and had 2 idiopathic seizures in these stressful/painful situations.

Anyone experience this?

Fainting for years and years after. Probable would still would but learnt to recognize the first lightheaded signs.
Thanks for being brave enough to share your story. Looking forward to your future posts.

Fainting for years and years after. Probable would still would but learnt to recognize the first lightheaded signs.
Thanks for being brave enough to share your story. Looking forward to your future posts.
You were able to recognize that it was related and catch it before it happened? That's incredible. Everything that I've come to understand about this is incredible. Thank you for sharing that, it's really helpful to know that I'm not alone anymore, and thank you especially for the warm welcome.

I think my experience is somewhere in between. I lose all muscle strength so hit the floor or slouch. I'm conscious enough to be able to hear but can't open my eyes or move. It's like I'm living in a small box in the back of my head. It feels safer there I suppose. It can take anything from a few minutes to a few hours to get my body back and the strength even to sit up.

I've really struggled with these symptoms and it's comforting to know I am not alone.

It sounds like you have been on a journey and I hope that it continues to bring you new knowledge and understanding.

Stress can be dangerous....if you let it. The same seizure triggers as the Epilepsy Foundation outlines for people diagnosed with epileptic seizures, are the same triggers for psychogenic (non-epileptic) type seizures. So, on my daily priority list are the following: Take all prescribed meds, eat 3 meals a day and get enough protein, insure glucose is normal (not eating, lowers glucose, which can also have me out cold on the floor or cause a seizure), get at least 6 hrs of sleep in a night.........not enough sleep disrupts brain waves which can cause weakness later on in the day and/or passing out or any type of seizure. I have something I take to put me to sleep if I don't get 6 hrs or it's not looking hopeful.....while it may leave me groggy a few hrs, it is safer. My experience is to create a healthy lifestyle, and follow, and take added steps and precautions (like a pill to sleep or more healthful food) when it's feeling unhealthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back