1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Anyone else smell medical procedures?

Discussion in 'Medical' started by shatter eyes, Jan 16, 2018.

1. shatter eyes

shatter eyes Well-Known Member

I wanted to ask if i am the only one smelling stuff from the hospital long after i have left the hospital. It has been months but recently the digusting smell of poop iodine piss disinfectants gloves gowns scents attacked me after i took a nap.

I suspect it was triggered from going for a test which was in similar setting in hospital.

It took about 4 days before the phantom digusting smells left.

The most gross smell was the smell of anal tubes being pulled out of my ass covered in mixes of fecal particles, lube, etc etc. Its a smell i cannot forget.

I was told these are called phantom smells...but specifically i am asking if anyone has phantom medical smells atrack them after they left hospital.

Ronin and littleoc like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Still Standing

Still Standing Well-Known Member

Nope! I only have recurring smells of cigarette smoke and I don't smoke. Yours seem pretty drastic! Mine comes and goes with months in-between episodes, which can last off and on for a few months.

littleoc likes this.
  4. littleoc

littleoc Making everywhere I go a better place Premium Member Donated

I do, usually it's of antiseptic and anesthesia and it's accompanying chemicals. It's been going on very occasionally for several years, starting in 2007 or so. Happened less and less frequently over time.

I've noticed that it's a weird way for my subconscious senses to tell my conscious mind about a problem. I now instinctively look for my pets and my mother or others when I smell it.

I also gained the ability to "smell" death after witnessing multiple slow deaths. I now look for illness and find it accurately. I've saved several animal's lives that way, or at least prevented excessive pain.

I'm just saying that eventually that won't haunt your olfactory so much, at least not all the time. And then, by then, it may become some kind of useful signal :)

5. shatter eyes

Yes it is something like those all mixed into one.

Its very disturbing when it happens and i do not know how to deal with it. It is so distracting when it happens and makes me feel disgusted with myself. Tiring telling myself its not real while the mind wants to find the source.

Thanks for letting me know i am not alone and crazy

Zoogal and littleoc like this.
  6. littleoc

You're definitely not alone, nor crazy :)

When that happened to me, I tried to cover the smell with candles, especially strong not-food-flavored ones. I also kept saline water around t rinse my mouth out with, which sounds odd probably but I like using physical gestures to rinse out psychological things. I also kept a bag of licorice around, or other strong smelling foods. If I was really bothered, I'd eat a piece of licorice or whatever. The smell and taste was often enough to reset my palate. Pickled ginger worked a little better.

Luckily I didn't end up associating licorice or ginger to the bad smells. Probably because I purposely chose a gross tasting off-brand of licorice? And I just love ginger.

shatter eyes likes this.
  7. shatter eyes

Very interesting we share this.

I did the saline flush also so that i know there are no particles in my nose.

I used a herbal ginger candy for a while as a distraction like sniffing tea tree oil.

This mystery smell sneeks up on me and i want to learn why it does that? Do i need to go back to the hospital and perform a ritual.

Maybe its time for me to get some sage and smudge. I dont think i have done any spiritual ceremonies in past 2 years.

I guess its an olfactory flashback since that procedure really fukd with my head having all those catheters and probe with electrode wired and tape mixed with iodine and sponges in both holes.. then having the penis catheter slide out and nurse redoing the setup hoping the analgesic still working. I was very sharp pain. I wanted her to stop but she said if i dont cooperate there will be no test data and no possible treatment.

At the end i was a ragdoll physically emotionally mentally.. do what u want stick whatever whereever. I just stared at the ceiling. Part of me died that day.

I checked in to the hospital for the procedure but nobody told me what it was. I thought i would go drink water and pee and maybe get examined. I was caught by surprise. The man became a cry baby and the cry baby became a lifeless ragdoll.

Damn.... that smell is back. I guess its confirmed flashback. Feel like throwing up now

Ronin and littleoc like this.
  8. littleoc

Maybe something spiritual would help, then, to at least ease your mind, and maybe to help separate that atmosphere from your home. And the smells would be much nicer.

I certainly understand sudden traumatic procedures. That is interesting.. but anyway, it's good that you already had some methods to try to stop it. It'll probably take a while to process, unfortunately. If you're up for it, it might be a good thing to consider mindfully while doing something with both of you hands, like washing dishes, knitting, crocheting, or some other sort of art? I wish I could be of more help, but I think all I did was give it time and slow processing. I hope that helps anyway

shatter eyes likes this.
Show Sidebar