Other anyone know or have experience with alexathymia

Chris-duck

MyPTSD Pro
Simplifying that it's basically an inability to recognise and describe emotions, it's not a diagnosis really. So it's IME massively common.

I can read other people decently, but for myself I only have awareness of some feelz and only when they hit extremes. T says that there's a million different things playing into this. Like no idea what my body is doing ever, deny feeling anything even if I do etc etc.

Got specific questions or?

Simplifying that it's basically an inability to recognise and describe emotions, it's not a diagnosis really. So it's IME massively common.

I can read other people decently, but for myself I only have awareness of some feelz and only when they hit extremes. T says that there's a million different things playing into this. Like no idea what my body is doing ever, deny feeling anything even if I do etc etc.

Got specific questions or?
thanks for replying, i know its not considered a dx, instead a personality trait. what surprises me is other personality orders like borderline personality disorder are give as diagnoses. i wish there was specific treatment for it.

This article from 2000 (published in The Psychiatric Times), is interesting reading. It provides a few case studies that clarify how a clinician might utilize the concept of alexithymia, when considering the broader diagnosis.
thanks @joeylittle

I'm curious, did they call it a personality trait? Cos I consider it more a symptom. Like for whatever reason you've had to learn to ignore your feelings so now you're unaware you even have them.
i believe it happened to be during my trauma time, they used our emotions against us. crying got us more abuse, a frown or other expressions got us more abuse. i believe in my case my brain in order to protect me and itself, cut my emotions off.