• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Are You a Static Electricity Magnet?

Do You Have Problems with Static Electricity

• Yes

Votes: 69 52.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 28 21.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hodge

MyPTSD Pro
I'm just curious about how many others have problems with static electricity. We know that ptsd causes changes in our biochemistry. I'd like to see some studies on this aspect, too.

Anyway, I have really annoying problems with static electricity. When the humidity is like below 50 percent, I get bad shocks from touching metal, particularly car doors. It really hurts. For another example, I have to ask my husband to take the sheets off our bed for washing, because if I do it, there are sparks everywhere! Sometimes I'm afraid I'm going to spontaneously combust or cause a fire!! I also wonder if this is why I can't wear a watch. They stop working on me.

Can't say that I have any more problems with this than the occasional jolt when I bump something. I do like to rumple up my fleece blanket in the dark and watch the sparks go, though!

Haha, you're braver than me, Kers! The sparks freak me out. Be careful! (Spoken like a true firefighter's daughter ;)

I voted "sometimes". For me it depends on what the weather is like here. Newfoundland is generally very damp so we don't seem to have a ton of static, even in winter. When we do though, it does freak me out. I had an experience once where I was electrocuted by a faulty fridge, I touched the handle of the fridge and this thick blue line shot up my arm and into a filling in my tooth!! It threw me back onto the floor and it hurt like hell. I've always been a bit phobic of electricity since then.

GRAMA=HERC is a static electriciyt magnet. I can't touch my cats during the winters here in Florida due to the dry air. I shock my cats so bad they won't come near me for days. Beside, it makes their hair stand out straight and is one of the funniest things you've ever seen

I do have a severe problem with this though. I can't touch anything without getting a pretty good jolt and It Drives Me Crayz

My car likes to shock me. It's a sneaky little thing. You never know when it's going to get ya. Plus I'm with GramaHerc and the dry Florida winter air. Makes everything worse.

Lisa

For me it's year round as long as the humidity is low enough. Doesn't matter what season it is. I've done some more monitoring of my situation and I zap everything when the humidity is below more like 70% (rather than the 50% I estimated at first).

It's interesting that there's a rather equal distribution among the responses. Maybe I should have figured out a way to factor in climate and season.

Oh Herc, I meant to say I do that same thing to our poor cats! The youngest doesn't seem to mind, though.

Hi
I get shocks all the time. Several times a day. Getting in and out of a car, touching a metal railing, sparks when i get into bed. Might be the rubber soled shoes i wear or nylon clothing? Sometimes they really do hurt a lot and sometimes they just tingle.

zapzap

I've noticed that I get zapped on escalators, by white-goods (when passing), and other people - they zap me! Just earlier, when I was trying to type and it was starting to get dark, I touched my touch-lamp (so I could see the computer keys) and it blew (cer-tink), but I'm not sure if that is because of my static, or it was gonna blow anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back