• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Research Are You Familiar With David Burns TEAM CBT (his update to Feeling Good & the top ten distorted cognitions)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ms spock

MyPTSD Pro
David Burns has updated his book "Feeling Good" to "Feeling Great – The Revolutionary New Treatment for Depression and Anxiety". He's done a lot of research and come up with 50 different methods to untwist your thinking. It's well worth the read and doing the written exercises. He doesn't talk of CBT now but TEAM-CBT.

TEAM-CBT stands for:

Testing - at the beginning and end of every session you fill out a form so he can get direct feedback on how you were before and at the end of the session.
Empathy - not rescuing or fixing
Agenda Setting (sometimes paradoxical) - deals with treatment resistance & values that resistance as showing the good thing about you.
Methods - he's got so many, so he wants you to fail joyfully and then move on to the next one that might work for you.

I am learning so much. His updates actually address some issues that I have - seeing what is your challenge as expressing as what is best about your core values and aspirations and commitments to family, community & culture. It's a big mindset shift for me. I am getting so much out of it that I wanted to share it with the rest of the forum. It might be useful to someone.

@anthony put me on to "Feeling Good". It's been useful. Ty for that.

List of Feeling Good Podcasts | Feeling Good (They are also on YouTube).

The Top 10 primary cognitive distortions:
  1. All or nothing thinking -- You see things in black and white categories. If your performance falls short of perfect, you see yourself as a total failure.
  2. Over-generalization -- You see a single negative event as a never-ending pattern of defeat.
  3. Mental filter -- You pick out a single negative detail and dwell on it so exclusively that your vision of all reality becomes darkened, like the drop of ink that colors the entire beaker of water.
  4. Disqualifying the positive -- You reject positive experiences by insisting they "don't count" for some reason or other. In this way you can maintain a negative belief that is contradicted by your everyday experiences.
  5. Jumping to conclusions -- You make a negative interpretation even though there are no definite facts that convincingly support your conclusion. (Involves mind-reading and fortune-telling.)
  6. Magnification and minimization -- You exaggerate the importance of things, or you inappropriately shrink things until they appear tiny.
  7. Emotional reasoning -- You assume that your emotions necessarily reflect the way things really are, as in "I feel it, therefore it must be true."
  8. Should statements -- You try to motivate yourself with "should" and "should not," as if you have to be whipped and punished before you could be expected to do anything.
  9. Labeling and mislabeling -- This is an extreme form of overgeneralization. Instead of describing your error, you attach a negative label to yourself.
  10. Personalization -- You see yourself as the cause of some negative external event which, in fact, you were not primarily responsible for.
Source: David Burns' book "Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy. The Clinically Proven Drug Free Treatment for Depression"

This poll continues onwards from a previous thread: Poll - Are You Familiar With The Top Ten Distorted Cognitions?

One of the things that really interested me is the Relapse Prevention Training. That would have been very useful for me.

Last edited:
Started reading this last night... a huge variation between the first and second books. You can instantly read the experience difference of 20+ years between them both.

I know! I know! You can really read the experience difference of 20+ years between them both. I knew you would get it!

I am reading it as well, doing all the written exercises. Already changes are happening.

Already I feel so much better about my life - the reframing exercise is a profound shifting of my life from what it was and why I held on to that and how that expresses my deepest core values, and I am so proud of myself for not giving up on myself or my core values. I went to bed without comfort eating last night and all this stuff just burped it's way out of my body. My sleep is much better as I do the exercises and practice exposure with myself.

At the back there's the 50 ways of untwisting your thinking and there's just so many options there. Burns says to fail joyfully and move on to the next technique.

The podcasts off his website have detailed show notes and are all on one page so you can search for what issues you are dealing with, it's free, well maintained and such a generous gift of knowledge to share. I have listened to quite a few and you can see over time the development of his techniques. Well worth a listen.

The amount of research and evidence based Science that Burns has engaged with throughout those years is substantial.

I am so glad you got the book and have a similar response to me. It's nice to be able to share that with someone.

Glad it's useful to you @somerandomguy. I would love to hear how it works for you.

I am thinking of starting a thread about it and discussing the process of using the book, and perhaps a thread that charts listening to the podcasts which have detailed notes, show you the Daily Mood Sheets, and you get to listen to live therapy and hear the techniques being used. I am also watching his YouTube Interviews as well. There is so much free stuff on his website that you can make use of, and I am trying to teach myself as much as possible. It's been a big mindset shift for me.

I am now reading his book. "Feeling Good Together: The Secret to Making Troubled Relationships Work Paperback, 2010 by David D. Burns. Some great strategy.

I have been listening to the podcasts on David Burns' website. List of Feeling Good Podcasts | Feeling Good

I have been listening to some of the podcasts on YouTube.
This one is good.

I am reading and studying a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back