• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Arggh!! It's Snowing

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should try living in northern Canada lol. That's where I am. We just finished a cold snap of -45 for 2 weeks. I am so happy it warmed up to -11 today.

I must say I am a bit shocked at the stupidity of people though that are driving in the weather the US is getting at the moment, and I mean driving fast, on highways and so forth. The cold snap in the US is obviously bad enough that it made news here, showing a fed ex semi, 40+ tonne of truck, lost control on a straight highway because of ice, going quite fast, sideways cleaning up all the cars in its path.

Now wouldn't commonsense prevail, and if its that icy and snow ridden across the US, stay of the roads and allow the weather to calm. Mail can wait, I'm sure of it. How many lives are being lost because of this weather in the US? No doubt quite a few.... why aren't chains compulsary to use on all vehicles in this type of weather? I know they are here in Australia in the snowy mountains and skiing areas. Your allowed to go so far, then stopped to ensure your chains are on... depending obviously on the road conditions. Each person is brief at a checkpoint on the conditions they are about to go into, and if bad enough, nobody gets through.

Car at slow speed is one thing I guess, a semi trailer demolishing cars, thats a bit sad for those who are on the receiving end of the truck. Damn...

Anthony, you always get the idiots that drive fast when its snowing, its not just in the States and Aus, but here in the UK.
Scott

I must say I am a bit shocked at the stupidity of people though that are driving in the weather the US is getting at the moment, and I mean driving fast, on highways and so forth.

Yeah I don't know, in the States and in the warmer regions of Canada, people just don't seem to know how to drive on snow and ice. Here in the north where I am, we have way more severe storms that the southern areas get, and yet at the same time way fewer accidents and fatalities.

Part of it is I think, we have snow 8 months of the year typically, so we're more used to driving cautiously. Plus we have special tires for driving on snow and ice... you'd be crazy to not use them, in fact I think you get a fine if you're caught. Snow removal is quick, and gravel and salt is placed on the highways ASAP. And very often the highways are closed.

I think in the more southern areas they are not prepared for the snowy weather, and not properly trained for driving on it.

why aren't chains compulsary to use on all vehicles in this type of weather?

Many of the places that are getting hit don't usually have very bad weather, so chains or snow tires are only needed every five or ten years (if that!). That said, I can't believe how a lot of these morons drive! I'm happy staying home and enjoying the time off. I don't need to risk my life on the ice.

Plus, I just found out my work is cancelled again tomorrow, and we're off on holiday Monday (Presidents' Day), so this will have been a 6-day weekend! Score.

i've had 3 snow days now. i think i have slept the entire time, lol. we get snow and ice here every winter, so people should know how to drive in it. NOT! a lot of people here have 4wheel drive, and think they can go anywhere as fast as they want, they don't realize til it's too late that stopping is going to be the problem. also, they are bad to run you off the road when the shoulders are full of snow.

We rarely get snow. Anthony, I don't think it matters where in the world you drive Idiots are everywhere.

Very true Terry, very true mate. We certainly have our fair share, the shame of it is though, is that its usually the young guys revved up by their mates, who end up all dead from speed.

I agree, here in Scotland you get the young idiots who have just passed their driving test, that think they are Michael Schumacher, who end up dead, driving their sooped up Peugot 206s and Golfs.
Scott

Anthony, I started reading your post here and I thought to myself, "Yea, you should see how a lot of those got-damn truckers drive," and sure enough you mentioned something along the same lines. Truckers piss me off

Snow you say my sled dogs left and went to florida...and i dont care what anyone says you put any person behind a wheel of a vehicle and they become mad max.............mj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back