1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Other Asd/ptsd

Discussion in 'Other Disorders' started by Marinna, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Marinna

Marinna Active Member

My psych has suggested I might be on the autistic spectrum. I don't know a lot about this and I am resisting the urge to consult with doctor google.

How can you tell if your emotional difficulties are related to asd or PTSD?

I had an abusive childhood and adult trauma so can't pinpoint a time when I felt 'normal.'

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Sweetleaf

Sweetleaf Well-Known Member

I'm on the autism spectrum myself. I was diagnosed with asperger's when I was 7 or 8 years old.

It's an interesting topic to me in that, honestly it's kind of hard to figure out whether a behavior is PTSD or autism or one influencing the other. But, I kind of just want to blame all the "resurfaced" autism-like symptoms on PTSD, for myself. I already had all that shit under control, for years. I still have a lot of things under control, I just think now I have PTSD making me have difficulty with a few autism-like things that I had improved on in the past.

For example: due to early intervention, many years ago I trained myself to make normal eye contact. I did this for years, before PTSD - normal, regular eye contact. Now though, I avoid looking people in the eye. I honestly think this is the PTSD at play rather than the autism, in that I have a fear of looking at people that I didn't have before. I want to be invisible now - before, I didn't care.

There are many other things like that. I think that a lot of PTSD symptoms could easily be confused for the social issues autistic people have, particularly on the higher-functioning end of the spectrum.

There is this one online autism test - now, I know online tests are basically worthless, but, considering I already have a legitimate diagnosis, it's an interesting thing to check myself on every now and then. Prior to PTSD, my score had become low enough that it was in "neurotypical" range - I had improved enough to appear to be relatively normal. Now it's back up there in the autistic range, but that's because PTSD changes how I answer the questions, because it makes me be more socially withdrawn.

You could always pursue diagnosis from a professional, though I have heard that people who are adults have a difficult time getting any ASD diagnosis. Part of this is that any high functioning autist will have developed adaptations by the time they are an adult, to help themselves blend in, and also that people really only give a shit about autistic children, for some reason - like the adults just magically stop having problems from it.

Marinna, Friday and mumstheword like this.
  4. Justmehere

Justmehere Defying the odds Moderator Premium Member

Did you ask your psych about this? A neuropsych eval is sometimes the best way to sort it out - but it’s hard in some places to find those trained to evaluate or treat autism in adult women. I’d be careful of diagnosis-by-google.

Marinna and Friday like this.
  5. Friday

Friday Raise Hell Moderator

I’ve had ADHD my entire life, and PTSD for half my life. Even given that, which translates to I can usually tell where a symptom is coming from by the feel of it, there are a lot of times that I have no idea whether a shared symptom is ADHD or PTSD. So I have to hit it with both sets of coping mechanisms to see which one works ... aaaaaaand ... often times it’s not one or the other, but actually one disorder feeding into the other. Meaning that in order to gain any traction I have to use both sets of skills, because it’s coming from both places. Other times I’ll use both sets of tools and the ADHD one does nothing, but the PTSD one is super effective, or vice versa, the PTSD one does nada but the ADHD one is super effective.

Getting evaluated / diagnosed can’t “give” you any kind of disorder. All a diagnosis does is attempt to describe what’s already there.

So you stand to lose nothing by being evaluated, except for time wasted spent trying to treat one disorder when it’s not that one that’s causing a particular issue. Brick wall bang head. Brick wall bang head. Brick wall bang... oh! This is why ABC / XYZ isn’t working or only works sometimes! Massive shortcut to have millions of other people’s expereinces to cheat off of! :D

Marinna, Junebug and Justmehere like this.
  6. Marinna

Marinna Active Member

Naah I didn't ask. Mostly because I was like what the f*ck? I did consult google an hour ago (couldn't resist) and I don't seem to meet the diagnostic criteria for asd.

I want my E numbing to be PTSD related because at least it is 'fixable' if that makes sense?

Asd seems less fixable, so it was a bit of a shock to have that suggestion thrown out there.

I am going to have to push my psych for an evaluation. I don't think I have asd, but as Friday says I want to know what I am dealing with and work towards treatment.

Thank you both for your replies!!

Justmehere and Sweetleaf like this.
Show Sidebar