• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Asmr ???? autonomous sensory meridian response therapy

Status
Not open for further replies.

shatter eyes

MyPTSD Pro
I struggle with noise sensitivity and get worked up easily into a torrent of rage.

Someone told me to try ASMR therapy.

I find it very triggering that i feel like smashing my phone. It really hits my nerves hard.

Anyone else try ASMR?
I dont know what it stands for.

There is one type of AMSR videos that work for me when my symptoms are low. It only makes me feel slightly more relaxed, the same way soothing music would. I know, it’s very strange. It’s my understanding that the brain tingly thing only happens with some people and not others. When symptoms are high, omg, even the one type of AMSR that works for me makes my skin crawl.

It’s not really considered to be a treatment for PTSD. Or a therapy.

Grounding might help a lot more. You are getting startled into a fight or flight state.

Noise can really get to me too. Noise canceling headphones work in a crisis, but they also increase the sensitivity to some degree over the long haul.

Pushing into a wall or even my feet into the floor can help downgrade the physical response in my body to noise that’s driving me nuts. Holding a frozen water bottle, deep breaths, etc, can all help. It’s still a tough one for me at times.

I hope you find what does work for you.

Theres semi naked people online breathing into microphones and clicking their tongues.

My physical response is smack them also....

No different "strokes" for me here.

I am told there is NO treatment for misophonia. The adverse reaction to sounds.

Noise can really get to me too. Noise canceling headphones work in a crisis, but they also increase the sensitivity to some degree over the long haul.
What headphones do you use?
I am trying to decide also.
My docs keep having diff views telling me no earplugs bcuz i will lower my tolerance to sound... and other doc says where earplugs so i dont get triggered.

Problem is once i get triggered i FEEL the sound and earplugs dont do anything. I have to find a way to adapt to sounds before getting fired up.

Once fired up i cannot catch myself to ground with pressure techniques. This is what i need help developing too. Indeed it is in time of crisis from noise that i need to cancel out sounds.

What noise cancelling headphones you use?

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres semi naked people online breathing into microphones and clicking their tongues.

My physica...

Are you hyper sensitive to sound?

Hyperacusis?

(There’s a thread about it.)

A doc who says nothing will treat it is wrong.

I have been supplementing with magnesium and it has helped greatly. (A google search will show it helps many.)

Magnesium won’t help everyone, but it has helped many. Just make sure you take the right kind as the wrong kind has an absorption rate as low as 3-4%.

Are you hyper sensitive to sound?

Hyperacusis?

(There’s a thread about it.)

A doc who says n...

ENT doc says I have hyperacusis and misophonia.

Hyperacusis = i have hearing like a bat and can hear what others do not because brain doesnt filter noise. Volume control stuck on max.

Misophonia = get mad at people making noise like coughing.

I drink liquid magnesium also

A long time ago before PTSD was a thing, I was treated for depression. During that time period I was super-sensitive to noise. Was unable to tune out anything. The world was overwhelming to me. Noise still causes me a lot of stress and I've learned to monitor my environment. Interesting thing is, most of my family is the same way without ptsd issues. During family gatherings several us can be found sitting quietly in a room just chillin'. Then we rejoin the noisy ones when we revive a bit.
The most recent addition to the family is actually diagnosed with a sensory-processing disorder in the area of hearing. At age 2, she has learned to grab her specially-made noise-cancelling headphones and go find a quiet corner to collect herself. Off topic a bit -- sorry -- but the connection between stress, biology, and noise tolerance is pretty interesting.

My kid -teenager- loves it... I hate it... because whenever he listens to ASMR or Diurnal Beats he gets paranoid as f*ck and cranky as hell. :wtf: Just what every hormonal teenager needs. :shifty:

He doesn’t see the link, though. It’s brick to the face obvious to everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back