• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other battered woman syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrokenDoll

MyPTSD Pro
I have this and I didn't know it at all. Some of the symptoms are non verbal, so because I wasn't beaten daily, (but was put down, verbal abuse, other non verbal abuse, but still never treated with respect
). It was impossible for me to know the symptoms. I apologize because it could be either gender that does the abusing.

And as a CSA and RSA survivor, I couldn't tell this is what it's called.

I am thankful to know about it. If anyone else has thoughts, please add any. Thanks for reading.

The abuser loves to play games, have no regard for your feelings or personal belongings. They will steal things and go through your stuff, if given a chance.

Yep, feel your pain. In my experience, and this is my opinion, once I actually used the word abuser in the direction of the narcissistic and physically abusive folks in my life, I knew I couldn't fix em and I knew I couldn't stay-because the longer I did, the more mentally and physically sick I became.... There towards the end, the abuse was the worst-because I had nowhere to go and an elderly father in tow and was stuck. So I made plans to prepare to leave and did....and after lots of therapy and time out of the abusive situation, I can more easily see the coldness-lack of feeling and lack of feelings-action connection that happened...I knew it was bad but the crazy-making behavior was directed at me and I was accused of being the only crazy one because I was different (tried to ride the moral/value roller coaster when other's didn't care to do the same). I became the mentally ill unwanted person in the family who didn't belong-when it was really an entire group of people-group abuse, my family doing self-serving stuff (like going through stuff, throwing my things away, and taking stuff that wasn't theirs, and so much more. Yep, it sucks to be physically, sexually, or emotionally abused....I had the trio. Good luck on your situation.

I am sorry to hear that. But you are amazingly self aware, and I am now too. It took me a long time. Thank you very much.
I was the same as you, add financial value, other bad things, (like I had all of my money that I earned taken away, ect, wages lost because I didn't work or labor by the hour, basically took everything and all of my money too.

It was worth it. I'd rather be free mentally anyway.

Best of luck to you too, I hope things go your way now too.

This is one of the things that I looooooove :D Not domestic violence, clearly, but the focused effort in fully exploring all the complicated as f*ck side effects of individual types of trauma. Because. It. Is. So. Damn. Useful.

PTSD is a fairly simple/straightforward disorder... but the effects of TRAUMA? Not only get complicated as f*ck... but not everyone who experiences trauma develops PTSD. They can develop wholly different disorders, or none at all, and STILL be dealing with the same complicated as f*ck effects OF trauma. And, sure, our individual diagnoses will also affect that (5 People coming out of DV - 1 with PTSD, 1 with Depression, 1 with Anxiety, 1 with an Eating Disorder, & 1 with a Phobia? are all dealing with their individual disorders, but also are dealing with the similar effects of Domestic Violence. Pooling that knowledge together? Just as useful as pooling disorder knowledge.

Being able to come at my life not only disorder specific but trauma specific? Is like burning a candle at both ends, but in a good way. Each side helping the other shrink the problem. And, I’m using the word trauma a bit loosely here, because there are aspects of different types of trauma / abuse / etc. that don’t rise up to the PTSD level, but still cause tremendous problems, both to those with & without PTSD. A great example of that, below.

Abuse of an intimate partner can take many forms, including emotional, physical, and financial abuse.

The CDC currently list the following as types of IPV:
  • Sexual abuse: This includes rape, unwanted sexual contact, and verbal sexual harassment.
  • Stalking: A person uses threatening tactics that cause a person to feel fear and concern for their safety.
  • Physical abuse: Including slapping, shoving, burning, and the use of a knife or gun to cause bodily harm.
  • Psychological aggression: Examples include calling a person names, humiliating them, or coercive control, which means behaving in a way that aims to control the person.
Coercive control is a legal offense in some countries, but not in the U.S.

BWS is a bit of an outdated term... you’ll find more modern resources searching IPV / Intimate Partner Violence.

For anyone just starting that search out... there’s a really good overview here, including how the history of term has changed. Battered woman syndrome: Definition, symptoms, and getting help

This is one of the things that I looooooove :D Not domestic violence, clearly, but the focused effort in fully exploring all the complicated as f*ck side effects of individual types of trauma. Because. It. Is. So. Damn. Useful.

PTSD is a fairly simple/straightforward disorder... but the effects of TRAUMA? Not only get complicated as f*ck... but not everyone who experiences trauma develops PTSD. They can develop wholly different disorders, or none at all, and STILL be dealing with the same complicated as f*ck effects OF trauma. And, sure, our individual diagnoses will also affect that (5 People coming out of DV - 1 with PTSD, 1 with Depression, 1 with Anxiety, 1 with an Eating Disorder, & 1 with a Phobia? are all dealing with their individual disorders, but also are dealing with the similar effects of Domestic Violence. Pooling that knowledge together? Just as useful as pooling disorder knowledge.

Being able to come at my life not only disorder specific but trauma specific? Is like burning a candle at both ends, but in a good way. Each side helping the other shrink the problem. And, I’m using the word trauma a bit loosely here, because there are aspects of different types of trauma / abuse / etc. that don’t rise up to the PTSD level, but still cause tremendous problems, both to those with & without PTSD. A great example of that, below.

BWS is a bit of an outdated term... you’ll find more modern resources searching IPV / Intimate Partner Violence.

For anyone just starting that search out... there’s a really good overview here, including how the history of term has changed. Battered woman syndrome: Definition, symptoms, and getting help

@Friday Good information.....you listed types of IVP- That was simple and clear....I can say, yes to all those points....with clear repeated examples.....wish that wasn't the truth. But thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back