• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Best medication for ptsd

Which medication has helped you the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
For mood?
I had a lot of success with lithium (mood stabiliser) and parnate (MAOI anti-depressant) but I'm now on Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine) which is great for me. I've tried a couple of dozen different anti-depressants, most with negligible benefit.

Re-experiencing and intrusive thoughts:
Been using Seroquel (Quetiapine) for years. Both instant and slow release. Also helps with my sleep.

Anxiety:
Best results for me is going native. Lifestyle has much more impact than meds on my anxiety, but I use valium (Diazepam) as prn occasionally.

And the only reason I typed all that out!? To emphasise that I think it's incredibly complex to get it right, and the single biggest factor to get it right is how competent the prescribing doctor is. There is currently no "best medication" for ptsd in any general sense, and psychotropic medications are notorious for their side effects. The best you can do is hone in on the symptoms you want to treat and figure out which options work best for you.

I'm curretly on naltrexone. In some patients it reduces derealization/depersonalization. Not sure I've had that effect.

Horrible experiences with antipsychotics. SSRIs okay-ish, no miracles.

I take an anti psycotic. Seriquel XR (extended release), 200mg a day and adore it. It helps the emotions to level off more and not be such an extreme roller coaster. I think thats more for BPD though. Im still on .5mg xanax 3 times a day though I only take it at night now (all 3) for anxiety. Ah shoot, didnt see that there.

Again though, these aren't medications for PTSD as the title says. They are for symptoms.

Oh, benzos do work wonders for me. Had them while hospitalised, loved them. They took the edge off and made life so much more bearable. Which is exactly why I don't use them. I'm sure I couldn't avoid getting hooked. Some people do manage to use them without problems, though. And it's a shame if they don't get them just because some people get addicted.

Reactions: AnD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back