Beta/alpha Blockers Experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamereign555

MyPTSD Pro
I had my follow up appointment today and have decided to start on Prazosin for my sleep issues. Tonight I will know if it causes any issues with my anxiety breathing problems. I will take it before bed and without taking any Xanax so I can get a better idea. Will update later as I try out this medication.

Unhinged

Confident
Gamereign,
I started Prazosin last night too. (2mg for 2 weeks then 5mgs /day at bedtime) I took it around 11, went to sleep about 1, and was up and unable to get back to sleep at 4am. After I took it my BP actually went up and my heart was pounding/racing. Might have been anxiety over taking another new drug. Feeling rather "blah" this morning, how did it go for you?

Gamereign555

MyPTSD Pro
To be honest I decided to wait until tonight instead to take it because my girlfriend will be home. I was told you might faint after trying your first dose so I didn't want to take it while I was alone in the house. I assume it is a pretty low dose though, I just am suposed to take 1 to 2 at bedtime only after that initial first dose.

D

Deleted member 1860

I take slow-release / modified-release propanolol(80mg), so I take it just once a day. It doesn't require multiple doses throughout the day..

I heard that the regular non-slow release propranolol is best for PTSD

Gamereign555

MyPTSD Pro
I tried the Prazosin last night. My experience was much the same as what you said.
Woke up in 3 and a half hours and couldn't get back to sleep. I did feel rested but also felt a full feeling in my head for the first hour or so. I still am not tired so I won't go to bed until midnight again.

After taking it I did start to feel dizzy pretty quickly and I did get a sedative effect that I found to be a nice feeling while falling asleep. I had no troubles with standing up in the morning and I didn't have any breathing issues from it which was good. It is a small dose at 1mg, but they will allow me to go 2mg now if I want. I'll have a better picture of this drug as the days go on. I'll keep updating if theres anything relevant to share.

Also of course worth noting: I didn't remember my dream and didn't wake up panicked for once.

Grace Hope

Confident
heard that the regular non-slow release propranolol is best for PTSD[/quote]

I use slow release propranalol 80mg and 20mg just before bed. I find It extremely benificial to controling my anxiety and panic attacks. There is a warning for using this drug that It can make you less inhibited than you were before. so beware if you use it as you could end up in a unpradictable situation.

Good luck though if you and your doctor think beta blockers are worth a go.

Clan Destany

Unhinged

Confident
Last night I only got about an hour of sleep, but was able to lay down for another hour around noon. No dreams, so that's good. All day had that same fuzzy blah feeling. Have you had any nausea? I have had some off and on all times of the day.

Seems like tonight is going to be about the same. It's already 4:30am and I haven't been able to sleep a wink. I felt pretty tired but as soon as i layed down the heart started racing again.

And good call on waiting until your girlfriend was around. My husband happened to be on vacation this week so it's nice to have him around, just in case. Last time we tried new meds I had a bad reaction and he was out of town on a business trip.

Gamereign555

MyPTSD Pro
I think I react okay to the medication, the minimum dose is well enough for most people for this purpose. I do like the sedation I feel when lying down for bed with the Prazosin. I don't have to take this one every night, but I will take one tonight, either 1mg or 2mg, not sure yet. Hopefully this time I don't wake up feeling totally refreshed after only 3 and a half hours of sleep.... I got seriously bored at 3:30 am last time.

Unhinged

Confident
I slept! I fell asleep around midnight and actually woke up to my husband's alarm at 6. Was even able to get up and make breakfast. It has been a very long time since I had a night this good. I had some dreams involving people and situations that would've normally ruined my night but they didn't seem as bad as normal.

Last few days I was up all night and only getting a few hours of sleep in the middle of the day, totally backwards and no fun at all. It really does get boring at those early hours. We have a roommate that works days like my husband so I was too worried to play video games/watch tv or clean the house in fear I would wake them up. Hopefully today marks a change for the better and I can get all caught up on the housework.

Status
Not open for further replies.