• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Blank Spots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlene

MyPTSD Pro
I don’t like this. My brain is having trouble accessing simple things for the last couple of days. It’s a very odd, very disconcerting feeling.

This morning at work I had to do an invoice. I do so many of these that I can damn near do them in my sleep. But with this one, I kept staring at the paperwork and drawing a blank. I ended up getting the instruction manual and sitting down and reading it to try and get my brain to get it together.

Last night in fencing class my instructor was working with me and calling out simple instructions for certain moves. These are moves I’ve been doing since the first time I put a blade put in my hand in my first class. And that was a year ago. I know this stuff! And yet I kept drawing a blank.

Very frustrating! I know how to do things, I know I have the information in my brain. But it’s like that information has been blocked from me accessing it. And the most frustrating part is that I KNOW the information is there and I can’t get to it.

Lisa

oh, i have been there--things like holding the keys, looking at the dash, and trying to figure out what i am supposed to do. hang in there.
cathy

:dont-know what causes that but I've experienced that many times....especially the last couple of weeks on and off....I will be typing and I always look at the keyboard as I don't have good eye/hand coordination...and it's like my fingers are dancing around a few keys randomly and I end up with a totally unreadable word....then I go to correct it and my mind just goes blank and I have to use spell check though sometimes it's so messed up the spell check can't figure it out!!!! Then I sit here and try to sound it out phonetically.....I try not to stress out about it as I want to stay as least stressed as possible....every once in a while I get a bit frustrated and swear a word or two and then move on :cuckoo: .....PEACE FOR THE PLANET

I had that happen a lot for almost 6 months. I was really getting scared but then it went away. Now I am back to it happening just a few times a week. I attributed it to a high level of stress, but yes it very frustrating.

Very frustrating! I know how to do things, I know I have the information in my brain. But it’s like that information has been blocked from me accessing it. And the most frustrating part is that I KNOW the information is there and I can’t get to it.
Agree with you Lisa, EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING, I too have this happen to me and only sometimes too frequently. It can certainly be discouraging at times. It does pass though for me and in it's time, so I'm suspecting and believing it will pass for you too. Not sure, but for me it seems to happen when I'm excessively worried /emotionally overwhelmed or seriously preoccupied with worry over something that I've yet to identify and/or process completely.

Hope

Stress. Ain' it grand? Really now, you are just coming to terms being grandma. You just had a major shake up and now things calm a bit your brain is going to decide to just "freeze". It will get better, just try not to make it something else to fret over. If you just accept it and keep doing your normal activities it will come back around. Very normal with stress and you have had a lot extra lately. And even if you are happy now it is still a major life change. Good stress is still stress. You will get used to this and your mind will adjust back to normal.

Yup Stress....If you get more stressed over it, it will get worse. Just try and go with it, and it should get better.

The other thing.....I'm not sure how old you are, but we woman have this lovely thing that we go through and it's called MENOPAUSE.....My first hot flash was at 41, I still have them, I'm 53. The memory thing was part of it for me too. I would have something in my hand.....and be a maniac looking for it.....PTSD & MENOPAUSE....God someone needs to write a handbook for that. It ain't easy believe me. Hormones and PTSD do NOT go together.....:angry-fla

Wendy

Whoo I know this feeling well!! I think it is stress/overwhelmed reaction. The good stress is still stress comment from veiled was a very good point! You've had a shake up and managed to begin to feel positive about it... but it doesn't mean its a lot to adjust to.

Only advice I can offer is that you try to do something relaxing and keep an eye on how tense you are... that will tell you how stressed you are without you realising it...

Thanks all! It's nice to know I'm in such distinguished company with this. I was thinking about this last night and wondering why it was happening when I wasn't feeling particularly stressed. Forgot that good stress is still stress. D'uh!!!

I've been trying to just ignore this and not focus too much on it. I've had it happen before when I was stressed to the max, but not when things were settled. I love how our brain waits until everything settles down and then screws with us!

Wendy I agree with you 100% that PTSD and hormones are not a good mix at all. When my symptoms were out of control I had the most horrific cycles ever. My GYN was even talking about doing a hysterectomy because things got so out of whack. Things are much more settled now. Thank goodness!

Lisa

Marlene,

I am better too now that I am POST...hahahahahah

But let me tell you, a few years ago...Oh Crap, I was a complete mental case.......A raging idiot, and I really had to reign in the anger. I would have rather killed someone as to look at them. It was pretty bad. On top of that I quit smoking. My neighbors stayed completely away from me, for fear of their lives....LOL!!!!!!

It was either raging anger, or crying at the commercials on TV. Now really commercials.....What commercial deserves tears?????

Wendy

Now really commercials.....What commercial deserves tears?????

Duh, pampers do. And The TLC show baby story. Babies get me all the time now! I just talk about them then here comes the water works LOL.

Pampers???? No way! The TLC baby show?? Ok, but not pampers....

Wen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back