• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

BPD Borderline personality disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyalex

New Here
Does anyone else feel like the May have borderline personality disorder? When I read the symptoms almost all of them describe me. I also have complex ptsd.

It's very very common for bpd and PTSD to coexist, especially complex PTSD. At one point I read an article with actual statistics. When I was younger I had a lot of bpd symptoms but not so much anymore. It's hard to say if that means I actually had it or if the symptoms were just a result of my trauma.

I do have BPD and exhibt all but one synptom.

Although I am diagnosed with BPD and it was mega obvious I had it back a year or so ago (and before), my therapist did say a month or so back that I don't exhibt the classic manipulative behaviors in therapy he would normally see. Again, not that I dont have BPD, I do and am on 200mg Seriquel XR to stablize my emotions (which works super well), he was just making a comment that I am not like most BPDers and exhibt more PTSD symptoms in his opinion.

Either way both along with GAD are diagnosed on my medical/mental health records.

It is very dangerous to self diagnose though as many BPD symptoms cross with PTSD symptoms and other disorders. Most times i dont really know what symptom is from what disorder. MANY mental health disorders have cross over symptoms. It is best to be diagnosed by a trained and experienced therapist/PDoc.

My psychiatrist calls it borderline tendencies. She suggested a book Living In The Borderland and it really helped me. It's technical but my Kindle's dictionary helped me get through. The doctor said borderline symptoms are normal with cptsd.

I have CPTSD and BPD. And GAD. Oh and BP 2.
You only need to have 5 of the 9 symptoms ( I believe) to get the diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder. I have 8. The only thing I don't do is self harm. Sadly, I've been very manipulative in past therapy. At least I can recognize it now which helps me to get better. It's sad that the diagnosis has such a bad stigma, worse than having many others mental illnesses bear. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I was given this diagnoses a year back at 57- I don't think it's correct. It's causing me stress. I don't self harm use drugs, hardly drink, am no risk taker.
I went as I was stressed due to family court case - long story & it brought up a lot of stuff and I became very anxious and was having panic attacks & didn't sleep well. Dr said I would need to see psychiatrist to be able to get therapy - she diagnosed me with BPD & told me to google it. I ordered books off amazon & don't see myself in this diagnosis.
I have had no help - no advice - I am worse after seeing her again the other day & asking for help. I have not been referred for therapy yet. I was offered anger management group session but I didn't feel that was appropriate for me.
I feel I have entered a twi-light zone.

I have had no help - no advice - I am worse after seeing her again the other day & asking for help. I have not been referred for therapy yet. I was offered anger management group session but I didn't feel that was appropriate for me.

Have you tried DBT? There is a workbook you can get off Amazon and work through it in your own as I have but there are DBT groups and all.

I didn't think I fit into PTSD either. And my therapist says I am not the "typical BPDer" but still have BPD. You may have less symptoms and fit into, say, PTSD more but it makes you diagnosable no less. Though you do have to have 7 or the 9 synptoms I believe.

I was told I would get DBT but now there is no funding available for it. I was told I score 6/9 but when I queried it she became evasive as I am not impulsive, but she had me down as that.

I will look at the workbook thanks for that.

When I first saw her I was very very stressed out & having a bad time with anxiety & it was bringing a lot of stuff back from childhood. I have now got a load of stuff in my records about my personal history but no help, no advise, no nothing....I feel as if I have been abused in a way by the system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back