• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Bored - Lets Talk Brain

Studies have also shown that mental exercises, such as learning a new skill or practicing mindfulness, can increase neuroplasticity in the brain, leading to improvements in memory, cognitive function, and emotional regulation.
I'm curious about mindfulness increasing neuroplasticity. I know about learning and tasks to reach this outcome, but did not know mindfulness did it. How does mindfulness increase neuroplasticity?

I'm curious about mindfulness increasing neuroplasticity. I know about learning and tasks to reach this outcome, but did not know mindfulness did it. How does mindfulness increase neuroplasticity?
Mindfulness meditation has been shown to increase neuroplasticity in studies, which is believed to be one of the reasons why it has been found to be effective in reducing symptoms of stress, anxiety, and depression. Here are some ways mindfulness might increase neuroplasticity:

1. Increases grey matter in the brain: Several studies have found that mindfulness meditation can increase grey matter in areas of the brain involved in learning, memory, and emotion regulation, among other functions. This increase in grey matter is thought to reflect the development of new neural connections and an increase in the density of existing connections.

2. Increases activity in neural networks: Mindfulness meditation has been shown to increase activity in neural networks involved in attentional control and emotional regulation. This increased activity has been associated with improved emotional regulation, attention, and cognitive function.

3. Reduces stress: Mindfulness meditation has been found to reduce stress and improve the body's stress response, including reducing cortisol levels. Reduced stress can help promote neuroplasticity as chronic stress has been found to impair neural connections.

4. Increases the thickness of the prefrontal cortex: Mindfulness meditation has also been found to increase the thickness of the prefrontal cortex, which is involved in problem-solving, planning, and decision-making. This increase in thickness is thought to reflect an increase in dendritic branching, which is a key process in neuroplasticity.

Overall, the current evidence suggests that mindfulness meditation can help promote neuroplasticity and help the brain to adapt and rewire itself over time.

Increases the thickness of the prefrontal cortex: Mindfulness meditation has also been found to increase the thickness of the prefrontal cortex, which is involved in problem-solving, planning, and decision-making. This increase in thickness is thought to reflect an increase in dendritic branching, which is a key process in neuroplasticity.
Very interesting. I wonder how much this has been part of my healing journey? I try and be present and focused on now, my surrounds, as a normal for me. The past to me is just that, the future is unknown, so I have trained myself to focus on now and what is around me. Sometimes I do it in a relaxed state, most of the time just normal day-to-day functioning. I guess its one of the changes I had to make in my own lifestyle to minimise symptoms and be ok with just being. Basically, getting out of my own head.

Very interesting. I wonder how much this has been part of my healing journey? I try and be present and focused on now, my surrounds, as a normal for me. The past to me is just that, the future is unknown, so I have trained myself to focus on now and what is around me. Sometimes I do it in a relaxed state, most of the time just normal day-to-day functioning. I guess its one of the changes I had to make in my own lifestyle to minimise symptoms and be ok with just being. Basically, getting out of my own head.
It's possible that your mindfulness practice has been a key part of your healing journey, as it's been shown to be effective in reducing symptoms of PTSD and other mental health conditions. By focusing on the present moment and cultivating an accepting attitude towards your thoughts and emotions, you may have been reducing your levels of stress and thereby facilitating the brain's natural capacity for neuroplasticity.

In addition to reducing stress, mindfulness may have helped you to become more resilient and better able to cope with challenging situations. By practicing mindfulness regularly, you may have learned to recognize and regulate your emotional responses to stressors, leading to improvements in your overall well-being.

It's encouraging to hear that you've developed a lifestyle that supports your mental health and well-being. By prioritizing self-care, such as mindfulness practice, you're investing in your long-term health and resilience. If you ever feel like sharing more about your mindfulness practice or would like further guidance, don't hesitate to reach out.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back