• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Study Brain circuitry for both positive and negative 'valence' affected by trauma

Status
Not open for further replies.

myptsd

MyPTSD Pro
Research has revealed that the brain employs distinct circuitries that mediate positive, or rewarding, behaviors and negative, or aversive, ones. Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) has long been thought to arise from overactivity in the negative valence system, however a new study shows that people with PTSD also displayed a deficit in activation of positive valence processing soon after the trauma, suggesting it plays a role in resilience to PTSD.
VYY35ckJ0gw

Continue reading...

🤣 Well! I got to learn a new word, today! 🤣

Word-Nerd “moment” coming;
(alt) WTF does that even mean??? What the hell are you studying???

I knew (vaguely) what valence means in both chemistry & immunology, but neither translated immediately to psych. Even though I’m well aware of what ambivalence means, I’d never understood it to be ambi-valence, meaning both-valence(s).

From the Latin (valere)… strength, worth
From late Latin (valentia)… power, competence
From the German (valenz)… implying binding

also known as “hedonistic tone”, used to describe the positive/negative aspects to (a whole f*ckin lotta stuff with feels attached)

- the valence of an event, object, or situation
- the valence of an emotion, affect, certain behaviours.

So! To take 2 near identically described emotions (excitement and anxiety)? Excitement would have a positive valence, whilst anxiety has a negative valence. Okay. That parses.

Let’s look at a pair of behaviours’ valence: Approach & Avoid. Even though the actual behaviours themselves might EITHER be smart/stupid, good/bad, desired/despised, etc… the valence of the behaviours are positive for the oomphy YES! & negative for the recoiling NO! <<< So that’s really useful, as it’s describing the emotional overtone that accompanies each, even if what a person is drawn to, or distancing from? Are no bueno. (Like unhealthy coping mechanisms -beloved or despised- have a really positive valence attached to them. Hence the draw. It’s the first part of what a person gets out of it. Even if they’re fighting against it? It’s what they are fighting against.) >>> Also immediately recognizable in the Zwip! emotional import in avoidance in a PTSD sense. Because of how strong the negative valence is? how imperative -and how natural, correct, right // ie the positive valence felt- in avoiding it.

SUCH a wicked useful word.

I’ve yet to actually
read the study.Next step? Now that I know WTF they’re studying? Read the durn study.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back