1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brain games... and ptsd

Discussion in 'Treatment & Therapy' started by shatter eyes, Jul 10, 2018.

1. shatter eyes

shatter eyes Well-Known Member Donated

Hello hello

I recently started BrainHQ which was prescribed for rehab. The doctor was saying thoughts get all messy because brain is not processing situations due to whatever reason. Such as sound identification if weak could contribute to me freaking out from random noises because brain cannot categorize the sound. The default mode is survival mode.

This made me wonder if cognitive games can help us so we can process our arousal trigger activation inputs from PTSD. Respond instead of react?

For example, "Elevate – a cognitive training tool to build communication and analytical skills (Elevate, 2014)" (NCBI, 2016).

Would games like this help PTSD be more managable?

For myself, I lose the ability to think and speak when activated. I am using Elevate for TBI rehab also and wonder how or if it will help me communicate and process situations.

What do you think?

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. joeylittle

joeylittle Donation drive til August 1, donate today Administrator Generous $250+

Makes sense on a number of levels - the thing that comes to mind for me right off the bat is, practicing focus. Any kind of 'brain-game' is going to require that one employ the neuro tools required to focus on a thing, which is directly tied to mentally eliminating distractions.

Many of the PTSD symptom sets could be described as very strong distractions. And (nearly? all?) of the cognitive management tools we are taught to employ require focus (at varying degrees of difficulty).

I know that there are a few thinking-type games that help me manage PTSD symptoms, just by playing them. There's that, too.

Friday and scout86 like this.
Show Sidebar