• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Brainwashing yourself with the truth, or, how to create a positive self image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am doing better. I am have some small amounts of success socially which, although terrifying, is pretty cool. I have been thinking a lot about past events in my life. There are a lot of things that I used as evidence that I should not have self confidence even though no I look back on them and think that if they were someone elses stories I would respect that person, so I am trying to remind myself how important perspective is.

I have more to say but I'm not sure what right now, I'll comeback to this.

Thanks again everyone.

My therapist told me that I do cbt in the sense of cognitive behavior therapy on myself. (Please no smack down for abbreviation. I explained it in the same sentence.)

Every time there is a change in my life I sit down and make elaborate graphs listing what is happening to me at what ages. I've done these retroactively and about future stuff. I used to do this a lot and now it is more rare. My life has been very disrupted and confusing. I was raped by 12 people over a 23 year period. I was moved more than 50 times before I was 18. I went to 25 schools before I dropped out at 16. I make these graphs to help me understand the flow and order of my life. Being alive is an accomplishment.

I have to lay things out on paper in order to change my feelings. Otherwise I stay stuck in the old feelings. I have to be able to consciously look at what I have done and evaluate how that action /behavior whatever has helped me or hindered me as I move towards my goals.

I have ups and downs, of course, but overall my sense of self is more accurate over time. I'm pretty cool. I am an interesting person who has had a really intense and interesting life. I'm still alive and I deserve bonus points for that. I am not, in fact, a worthless whore. It has taken most of my life to understand that even the whores aren't actually useless. No one is worth less regardless of profession or behavior.

It's hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back