• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Research Calling all veterans! Enter in drawing for $25 Amazon gift card and/or earn $10 for participating in study about military stress and eating!

• Thread starter Deleted member 50322
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 50322

Hello! Are you a United States Veteran? Did you experience stress while in the military?

We are recruiting veterans to complete a survey about military stress and eating behaviors. This survey will ask about military sexual trauma and combat. The survey will take 15 to 30 minutes to complete. If you complete the survey, you will be entered into a drawing for a $25 Amazon gift card!

At the end of the survey, if interested, you can also select to be screened for participation eligibility for the second part of the study, which involves completing an online interview about experiences of combat or unwanted sexual experiences during the military that will last up to two hours. If you complete the interview, you will receive a $10 gift card of your choice from either Amazon, Kroger, or Walmart. Click here to participate in the survey.

If you are only interested in participating in the interview portion of the study please click here to complete a brief screener to determine your eligibility.

We look forward to hearing from you!

-------
Note: This study is approved by the Bowling Green State University (BGSU) Human Subjects Review Board (1676171).

Last edited by a moderator:
Soooo I admit I woke up cranky this morning so bear with me.... but wow. Couple of things you might want to think about

First - I would need more information on what this study is about, who is doing it and how the results will be used before I volunteer any information

Second.
I highly suggest you review the "Risks" section of your informed consent because as it is worded now is extremely dismissive about the effect of mst and combat.

You say "it is possible but unlikely that you will experience minor distress by participating in this study" and "When reflecting....you may notice slight discomfort"

Are you kidding me?
That tells me you are completely unaware that even thinking about these experiences can be extremely distressing to many of us who have lived thru it.

You are not asking us to discuss "stress."

You are asking us to discuss trauma.

If you don't see a difference between those two things you might want to rethink what you are trying to accomplish with this study.

Under Direct Benefit you say you must "correctly answer the first five questions assessing your military status and ....military stress related exposure questions."

Correctly?
This isn't a game show.
It's real life.
There is no "correct" answer in trauma

I'm not trying to discourage you but ya, you kind of flipped my bitch switch with your wording.

I debated posting anything but then thought that perhaps my reaction will help you understand how volatile these kinds of surveys and studies can be for people who are still struggling with their experiences.

Depending on the focus of your study you might have better results by finding vets who have already completed trauma therapy and are more able to discuss their experiences a bit more rationally.

All solid points, @Freida - great post.

I'd observe, that if the informed consent section was consistent with it's title - Military Stress - and didn't treat the concepts of stress and trauma interchangeably, plus was more upfront about the potential triggers in a more overt list form (discussion of: traumatic experiences including: sexual assault, active duty events, severe injury and death...you get the idea of the kind of itemization I'm talking about) - those two things would go a long way towards being realistic but also appropriately neutral in tone.

Anyway, them's my two cents. Just validating your experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back