• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Can anyone help me? anyone have a religion or church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinyflame

MyPTSD Pro
I know this is a shot in the dark, but wondering if anyone goes to a church, what their religion is, and a thumbnail explanation of the beliefs, expectations and inclusivity to join? What is your experience with it and having ptsd?

I realize many people have had negative experiences or negative ones imposed by others through religion and 'beliefs' (sic), but I am asking here for your own uncensored opinions, and trying to tell the differences. I have only tried to google Christianity based ones, but the differences are not clear. Specifically also for United. (?)

Did you feel better abandoning religion in it's conventional form? (with the caveat that abuse and abusive experiences being the relevant obvious reason any person should/ would, so I'm not referencing that, but rather your own choices/ experiences). Conversely, any particular positive experiences?

Thank you very much. I can't find much info that makes sense to me except googling specific questions, and even wiki is unclear.

I know this is a shot in the dark, but wondering if anyone goes to a church, what their religion is, and...
I’d be happy to answer any questions I can based on my beliefs and perspectives on things, experiences and what I’ve learned.

I’ve had both positive and negative experiences, but for me it’s not a religion it’s a relationship with Jesus.

I love this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAhDGYlpqY . Let me know what your thoughts are on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you @Muted I will but I have to go to work in just a few minutes.

Judging by the title I'd guess you neither attend church nor subscribe to any particular religion? I agree that it's a relationship, wondering if it's one that's not beneficial or realistic to continue to pursue through religion.

I am guessing that the majority on here do not- and there is a reason for that.

Thank you @Muted I will but I have to go to work in just a few minutes.

Judging by...
Yes, I do attend church. It took a lot of time for me to have my own relationship with God, rather than automatically taking on other’s viewpoints from my church. It’s a process and something I will hopefully continue to grow in. I have my own relationship with God, but I choose to go to church and worship with other believers.

Junebug ... :hug::hug:

For some, the manner in how @Muted addressed the answer is considered devoted to her High Power or Christ. It places the longing to keep Christ close spiritually regardless of the denomination or building. It usually is a ‘tell’ of a strong relationship within seasons.

I go to Church online, study at home the Bible, ect and but go infrequently to buildings or brick and mortar churches. I am more
Ecumenically centered or find comfort within the Ecumenical Catholic Church. However, I found many of my beliefs resonated in several beautiful religions.

Many of the USA libraries have large sections on Theology which addresses all forms of spirituality or diversity of relationships. Were you asking among the members per say or is there something that you seek?:hug::hug:

I attend a Christian church as well. It’s a great sense of community, it feels good to me and I just love hearing the pastor speak. It is very family oriented and not stuffy... except for when the founder comes to speak, he is old world and I’m not so sure the rest of us really accept his old views as the word.

I don’t always agree with some of the beliefs of the church,which are things that are acceptable by society this day and age, but for the most part I do agree. I don’t take it too personally however.

The church believes helping those in need, which is in line with my own beliefs. It feels good to attend for me.

Let me know what your thoughts are on it.

@Muted , oddly enough the same in so far I believe the saying, 'pure and perfect religion in the eyes of God is taking care of widows and orphans', in other words love is action and that has little to do with much else than the bottom line. And yes I believe grace is a gift, not earned.

Though I don't feel God is loving (though I'm sure (S)He is), but not from my own life. I realize we say it was the ultimate sacrifice, but sometimes I've been on the cross- my fault, but also not my fault. And others suffering far worse. And I see nothing of love in that. I'd as easily hear, my neighbour, or the person down the pew loves me (and we all know that's BS).

i have been fortunate to not be in phony or pretensive or judgmental church environments, though similarly anyone (including myself) can act like an as*hole. And I am turned away by phoniness or lies, we all experience enough of that elsewhere to be familiar.

Yes, I do attend church.

May I ask what kind? Or by PM if it's more comfortable? (Thank you).

Last edited:
and but go infrequently to buildings or brick and mortar churches.

I wonder too if this would be better for me. I do not belong and wonder why I put myself through this every week.

Were you asking among the members per say or is there something that you seek?

I think it seems less members attend than do not, I wonder if the ptsd affects it?

Thank you. :hug:

I attend a Christian church

Forgive me @gamereign555 but 'what' does that mean? As in the similarities/differences- Anglican, R.C., Lutheran, etc?

I've been thinking though, maybe it doesn't matter- what ever a person relates to, they are unlikely to agree without question to all.

It is very family oriented

I think that's great- for families, children, couples, youth, widow(er)s, people who want a listening ear, people who want anything from great-to-not-so-great, whether it be revealed or not (not my business). But not so much for a single woman like me though, let alone throw ptsd in the mix. And the way nothing works out about it, and how horrible it makes me feel, I think it's God's way of showing me I don't belong there. Maybe no where. But FWIW, I don't see my beliefs as regards how I treat others changing regardless, maybe they'd even be better, who knows. Idk, maybe I never would have been there if I hadn't promised someone on their death bed (like that's even a choice). A lot of people don't go or follow anything and seem quite fine with it.

Thank you and am glad you feel good there.

Thank you to all. :hug:

I guess I realized today, it doesn't matter, if it doesn't matter.

They said today, 'what are you longing for?', and I thought, 'an end to this life'. And I thought, why am I doing this every week? I have a choice. Round pegs don't fit in square holes, and why put myself surrounded in these environments. That is, in essence, my fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back