• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

can chronic trauma leave a person stuck in a dissociative state of mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stranger2myself!

Policy Enforcement
i feel like im always dissociated. i dont have split personalites, but it just seems like my mind is absent almost all the time. im always confused, cant remember anythibgn, feel stupid, i use to have such a drive and motivation for life, but now i just dont take life seriously anymore, lots of times when i see my reflection i feel like im not inside my body, i space out all the time, and everyday just suddenly vanishes, i take forever to get anything done. i use to get so much stuff done, and now it feels like i waste almost everyday getting barely anything accomp;lilshed. right now i just feel like my emotinons are kinda numb and careless. but sometimes i feel like my emotions are a thousand times more intense than normal. ive been hearing whispers all throughout everyday but can never understand what its saying. i was abused and have been through way too much stress. am i stuck in dissocaiation? whats going on?

Short answer, yes...

Do you have a professional care available?
As for 'what's up', that would be a question to take up with professionals.

@flamesandgasoline - I hear you. And what you're going through is a very good example of why self-diagnosing doesn't work...

You've experienced trauma, so it makes sense to look to PTSD to explain what's going on with you - and dissociation is a PTSD symptom.

Dissociation is also a symptom in a good number of other diagnoses.

What you're describing, here:
it just seems like my mind is absent almost all the time. im always confused, cant remember anythibgn, feel stupid, i use to have such a drive and motivation for life, but now i just dont take life seriously anymore, lots of times when i see my reflection i feel like im not inside my body, i space out all the time, and everyday just suddenly vanishes, i take forever to get anything done. i use to get so much stuff done, and now it feels like i waste almost everyday getting barely anything accomp;lilshed.
That sounds a lot like it could be depression. Now, depression is generally part of a PTSD diagnosis....but it's also involved in other conditions besides PTSD.

And this bit:
ive been hearing whispers all throughout everyday but can never understand what its saying.
Could be at least three different things that I can think of, but I'm absolutely NOT a doctor. A doctor who specializes in psychiatric issues will know far, far better than anyone here.

Mental disorders are really difficult to diagnose. This is largely because the diagnosis depends on an analysis of the patients self-reporting and the physicians observation. It's also because there is a great deal that is still not understood about psychiatric disorders.

Not understanding what's going on in your head, wanting to figure it out, and not being able to access care immediately - that is frightening and frustrating.

trying to get a therapist
This is good.

Therapists can't always offer all the help...not sure what country you're in, but have you also tried getting referred to a psychiatrist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back