• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Can PTSD Cause Shaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. Quick question...my boyfriend is diagnosed with PTSD after returning from serving in the middle east. I've noticed that his hands will frequently shake. I've asked him about it several times and he just shrugs...he's recently just starting to really open up to me about his PTSD but still no explanation about the shaking....is it possible that its related?

The shaking was the first symptom I was aware of and wanting to get it stopped was a major factor in my going to see a doctor in the first place.

Yes, shaking is a symptom... but it is also a symptom of other things too. With help it will stop. Good luck!

The tremors from the anxiety which is a component of PTSD were what led me into counseling. They have diminished, but on occasion, I still experience a much milder version of them.

I have two kinds of shaking. One is obvious and happens when I am scared and upset. I'm pretty sure my voice shakes when I talk at this point. I just quiver all over. I've had this happen to me at other times in my life (pre-PTSD), not often, but when very scared.

The other is a tremor I get that's like a vibration through my nervous system, pretty faint. I feel it when I'm lying in bed, mostly, but also when sitting still. Sometimes I've thought the floor was vibrating. This one is mostly in my upper back, chest and arms. This one happens when the rest of my body is completely at rest and it has nothing to do with emotions.

I think tremors in the hands are very common. When anxiety is high, I can't sit still and when it is really out of hand, I shake all over. The "body" tremors are insane, its almost like Parkinsons.

See that's what I was thinking it was (Parkinsons.) It's odd, he usually has it when he's laying on the couch and playing video games on his cell phone, I'll see his hands shaking. I don't think I ever see it otherwise. That's interesting that it's caused from anxiety. I also suffer from anxiety, but it must be a much different form than his.

For me, shaking is an indication that a bad flashback is coming on. I'm not sure if its an indication for anyone else...

I have two kinds of shaking. One is obvious and happens when I am scared and upset. I'm pretty sure my voice shakes when I talk at this point. I just quiver all over. I've had this happen to me at other times in my life (pre-PTSD), not often, but when very scared.

The other is a tremor I get that's like a vibration through my nervous system, pretty faint. I feel it when I'm lying in bed, mostly, but also when sitting still. Sometimes I've thought the floor was vibrating. This one is mostly in my upper back, chest and arms. This one happens when the rest of my body is completely at rest and it has nothing to do with emotions.

Me too Seedling. I have just become aware the last couple of months of the second kind you mentioned, vibrations. I experience them when in bed. It feels almost like an electric vibration throughout my entire body. The first couple of times I thought we were having an earthquake. It's totally internal though and really weird. Glad to hear that I am not the only one ;o)

The visiable shaking is usually due to anxiety for me. It happens when I am with my T a lot, but really at anytime when anxiety is intense.

I don't know if there is any truth behind this but I am now coming up to 5 years since I went to the Doctors with the shakes and I operate under the following :-

If I feel the internal shakes I believe I am anxious and try to calm myself. I constantly check myself by holding my hand out straight in front of me to see if it is shaking.

If I find I really am shaking I remove myself from whatever situation I am in till I am able to calm myself down and feel less of a threat.

Isn't it an overload of adrenaline going through your system that causes visible shaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back