• All donations and upgrades are manually verified and approved within 24hrs.
  • Upgrades are ongoing. Learn how to save your bookmarked posts.

Can we please discus politics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter #1
I know this is taboo but can we please discuss politics. Because of the threat I see from trump and supporters I have frequent nightmares where I cannot save my family (I am not taking shots at trump supporters this is how I feel), I am afraid to go out becasue I often see white nationalists in my town, and I have panic attacks becasue dems think all will be saved if Biden is elected... But it is political so I cannot talk about it.

I was stuck with my last therapist and I am worried about seeking a new one (1. Because I would not be able to trust a trump supporter, 2. a dem would chalk it all up to hyper-vigilance when I believe there is some legitimacy to my fears 3. I am also an atheist and have trouble trusting Christians not to judge me ).

I am really struggling with all of this and have nowhere to turn. The next few months are going to be hell. As long as nobody directly insults one another it might be helpful to a lot of people. Maybe there could be separate threads based on political leanings...

I'm in the UK so don't live with the exact same politics (but arguably..... it's all the same?!).
What struck me in your post was how definite you find someone who is a democrat or a trump supporter or a Christian.
Maybe you need to work on your 'all or nothing' thinking? Because there is nuance in people?

Not taking away your fear of white supremacist s, becuase I think they are fearful and should be feared. So I don't know what to say there (and I think trump is a white supremacist). But how do you know that the people you see are a threat to you? I have this about a certain type of white man (becuase that is who raped me). I'm realising that is my fear and that out of the X number of white men I have met it is a teeny tiny number who have hurt me.

I have no idea what my T's political views are. Or religious. I like to think she is like minded . But she doesn't disclose and that lets me continue with my fantasy that she shares my outlook.

Last edited:

joeylittle

Administrator
@bhardin - if you want a place to write your thoughts on politics, you can do that in your trauma diary. I'd recommend using the Member's Trauma Diaries.

Because of the threat I see from trump and supporters I have frequent nightmares where I cannot save my family (I am not taking shots at trump supporters this is how I feel), I am afraid to go out becasue I often see white nationalists in my town, and I have panic attacks becasue dems think all will be saved if Biden is elected... But it is political so I cannot talk about it.
So, I see three different issues going on here.
  1. Hypervigilance: Do you have (specific, rational) reason to believe that white nationalists will hurt you? If so, then vigilance is appropriate. Figuring out how to safely get done what you need to do. But if you're not specifically a target, then you're letting hypervigilance interfere with normal functioning. That's not politics, that's a symptom and something you can work on.
  2. Cognitive distortion: There are thoughts you're expressing that are out of proportion - distorted thinking. Whenever you notice your thoughts going to things like "all", "nothing"...this stuff can be worked on by balancing your thinking, and that will go a ways towards alleviating stress, giving you some mental relief.
  3. Political beliefs: People's political beliefs can (often do) create various kinds of stress. Experiencing mental crisis, feeling afraid, angry, threatened, powerless...these are feelings that can be quite similar to traumatic memory, and it's not ever surprising to me that people get very hungry to talk about politics on this forum.
The problem with "discussing"politics is - very few people want to have a discussion. They want to commiserate, share excitements, worries, fears, and victories...to vent their rage, to attack, to hit back.

It's hard enough for people living with PTSD to regulate themselves. I've found that allowing extensive political debate or discussion here is kind of like bringing booze and drugs to a group mental-health session: It might seem like a good idea, but it's not doing anyone any favors.
  • If you want a forum where you can share/connect through political beliefs - there are other places on the internet where you can do that.
  • If you want to work on your symptoms, these forums are great for that (like writing about your anxiety on this thread).
  • If you want to express/write about politics, your diary is the only place it can happen, and even that - I will shut it down if it's creating toxicity elsewhere on this forum, no matter what your beliefs or mine may be.
I'm locking this thread, because it's about forum policy - but if you (or anyone) have questions, feel free to ask me via Contact Us.

If you want to start a new thread to talk about your anxiety and get help with it, please do - I'm not trying to shut that down, only answering your question on what we can't discuss politics here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom