• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Can You Get Triggers for Traumas You Don't Remember?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuance

Learning
For the longest time, I have wondered if certain triggers indicate a forgotten trauma but the trouble is I can't remember anything specifically that would cause such strong triggers. Most of my desensitization has been guess best hypotheses and it gets frustrating. My gut tells me some things did happen but I can't say with any certainty.

Some of my triggers included:
Intense fear of getting into trouble/punishment
Intense fear of other people's anger
Intense fear of people putting me in harm's way
Hypersensitivity to loud noises and big crowds (no sensory issues)
Huge discomfort of physical touch and emotional affection (no sensory issues)

As long as you lived it, yes.

Doesn't matter if you remember or not.

Only that you lived it.
If you didn't live it, they're something else, not triggers.

And not all stressors, aversions, dislikes, etc, are triggers.

Don't fall into the trap of assuming everything you have issue with *must* be a hidden trigger, or even trauma related.

As long as you lived it, yes.

Doesn't matter if you remember or not.

Only that you lived it.
If you didn't live it, they're something else, not triggers.

And not all stressors, aversions, dislikes, etc, are triggers.

Don't fall into the trap of assuming everything you have issue with *must* be a hidden trigger, or even trauma related.
Yes, great point! There is definitely a fine line. It is easy to go down the rabbit hole. The issues I mentioned above are things I have struggled with since as long as I can remember even before I got adopted so it's hard to tell sometimes if it is related to trauma, personality quirks, or both.

@Changing4Best and @Ronin
After exploring my thoughts with the therapist, I realized that I just was in denial of physical abuse. I mean my perpetrators weren't trying to be malicious, but they were young, burnt out and lacked proper training. And because I had the most needs of all the children, they took out the brunt of their anger out on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back