• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Can you tell when you're doing okay, or when you're not doing too well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

candletea19

Learning
I thought this would be a fun thread. I've noticed over the past couple months that I can sometimes tell when things are headed in either a good or bad direction. Sometimes it's just small things, like I can tell when my anxiety is spiking up before I feel extra anxious, I can tell when the depression/lack of motivation and energy is about to sink.. stuff like that. Feel free to add your own, as personal or as vague as you want!

Things that happen/I do when things are starting on a positive rise:
-Get more than one shower in a week
-Tidy the house (I'm on top of garbage always, but the messy is something else. If I'm cleaning the tub or something, I'm having a REALLY good day)
-Use less than 7 alarms(plus "snooze"s) to get out of bed in the morning.
-Little things don't irritate me as often

Things that happen/I do when things are starting on a negative slope:
-My word skills start declining (mixing up words, forgetting how to spell or certain grammar rule, etc)
-Showering feels like the worst chore in the entire world, even if I do shower it's dreadful and takes me forever to convince myself to get in.
-I don't talk to my mom (if I don't see her, I'll call her, usually, on good weeks)
-My eating is all crazy. I want junk food, don't want to cook, etc. I usually love cooking, hate junk food (for the most part haha)
-While in the car, I'm focusing on the road/other cars always
-Also while in the car, I'm holding onto the door handle always

There's more, but that's what I can think of on the top of my head. I know some of these things are just a part of what I go through, but I've taken a notice to these things, and when they happen more or less, and have noticed somewhat of a trend (though it's not always reliable).
Hopefully I can use this to my advantage, and help predict panic attacks, or help stop them, or it'll help in some way, some how.

But for now, I thought it was a great discussion thing. See if anyone has similar experiences, or if anyone posts something and it clicks in my mind that I do the same, or even just as conversation!

I usually have an idea of when things are good or bad or on the way to either.

If things are good first I have to go through a checklist to make sure I'm not manic. Once I get through that, I will allow myself to feel happy, and just keep watch that it doesn't turn into hypomania because I am paranoid about becoming manic. The happiness is so fleeting that it is a little bit scary when it actually happens. Laughing, smiling, singing out loud, being overtly affectionate with my husband are all signs that I am doing well.

On the flipside, self hygiene is always the first to go. For some reason I hate brushing my teeth, and will go almost all day without doing so. Showers also decline, I rarely wash my hair is it is but I will go much longer without washing it. I don't want to get up out of bed, or leave the house. I'm not a neat freak to begin with, but I will do the bare minimum as far as cleaning to appease the husband, and will also stop eating. My anxiety starts to worsen, my driving can become erratic and I start dissociating. I completely isolate myself and won't talk to anyone.

That's all that I could come up with but I think it's enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back