• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Canada day fireworks trigger me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astrid_Shadow

Confident
Hey everyone.

As everyone's already aware today is Canada day, which means lots of fireworks. Loud noises trigger me. Any advice on what to do to avoid being triggered? I plan to put my music a bit louder but I dunno if its gonna completely block the sound.

I know, Astrid. Good luck. Fireworks and other noises trigger me, too. Wish I had some advice beyond, yes, put your music a bit louder.

Through in vivo hierarchy exposure I have built a tolerance to the exploding of fireworks. I started watching them from a distance and worked my way up to where I could be right down in the middle of the celebrations. I know that doesn't do anything for you this year, but maybe it's something you could work on for next year. I have to admit sometimes when people light them off (and I'm not expecting it) I think it's gun fire. I have even gone as far as to call the cops before just to have them show up for no reason at all, kind of embarrassing, but I am getting better at handling them.

Anything that cancels out the noise would be helpful, or if you can, go somewhere else that you know is less frequented with fireworks.

I totally get this!... I live in the US and the crazies have been firing off crap for a week now in anticipation of the 4th. No great answer here....but a few thoughts....movie theater, music, being with someone...Just wanted you to know that someone out there gets it. Hang on.

Hang in there, Astrid. We've got the Fourth coming up here on Monday, and someone started the other night. I hate when people set off fireworks in our neighborhood. It's just really dangerous. Someone always holds a public display on the Fourth a few miles from town, safely away from houses, etc., so it's not like no one gets to see fireworks around here. But there are always people who will do it in their neighborhoods. Not cool, but evidently not illegal, either . Or if it is illegal, all the cops turn a blind eye.

Hey everyone.

As everyone's already aware today is Canada day, which means lots of fireworks. L...

Ah yes.. I know exactly what you mean, I react the same way to fireworks. Try ear plugs, they dull out the sound enough so that it doesn't have as big of an impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back