• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Can't find a support group in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I learned as I was calling around to find support that the only support groups made available for ptsd issues were strictly military related, but eventually, the local sexual and domestic violence shelter created a space for folks to meet once a week.

One of the community outreach hospital staff I spoke to in trying to find options was really pissed when she realized how little is made available to help address one of the biggest community issues, and she continued to thank me for making her so painfully aware.

Keep reaching out, keep asking, and call the shelters in your community, if there are any. If they never have requests for it, they need not follow through. They still may not, but you never know.

There’s only one unreligious support group for trauma (non-combat) where I live and it’s run by a good friend’s wife. Granted she’s a therapist but still, that’s not happening. Nope nope nope nope nope nope. Good luck- keep reaching out and it will payoff!

The United Way is good at keeping track of groups. I've found that in my state they know about a lot more of them than are listed online.

I'm in one for mental health generally that I enjoy. It might be worth considering if you can't find one for PTSD or your specific trauma.

I totally know how this feels. I am looking for such where I am. There were some AA/NA, but the only ones about anxiety, depression, or abuse were paid groups through private psych centers...

I really wish there was a group somewhere here. I feel like there are days I just wish there was someone I can call and talk to who can understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back