• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Can't Learn New Things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strangelongtrip

MyPTSD Pro
I'm trying to learn some things and get certifications for my resume. Both times I've tried to start these cert classes, I just start sobbing because I feel like I'm so bad at the things I'm trying to learn (when I have no experience/self taught experience in them) I give up and just cry. The ways I've tried learning them I've hated, too. I end up feeling so depressed I don't want to get out of bed. I beat myself up that I'm never going to get a job because I'm not actually good at any of these things. I don't even know if I like them but I need a job, so. I don't know if it's my brain saying that I shouldn't do this because I don't like it as a job or if it's because I just think I'm not good enough. I know there's tons of things I'm good at but this just....isn't objectively one of them and I don't really care about it. I don't know what to do instead. I feel like I'm never going to get a job and I need one by August for my rental application. I'm applying everywhere but I guess my applications aren't good enough so I was going to try to get these certifications. But idk if I even want jobs in these things.

That's why you're learning them, yes?

As in because you don't know them yet.

You're kind of supposed to not know them / get them wrong / miss the basics / not see the whole / not be good at it... that's why you're learning.

And every time you get it wrong and try again? You have done it right, as learning both about the subject and more importantly, yourself - and what do you even need to do to be *able to* learn - and what doesn't work out for you.

Thank you @Ronin. I’m just going to work on them slowly. I think a job in it would be too stressful while I’m still going to school full time, but for the future I’ll work on the skills a little at a time!

Learning new things can be scary, and possibly brings up some old issues. So, let's set a short term goal of finishing one certification. Focus on just the one, take baby steps. Then add it to your resume and work towards the next one. The mid-term goal is getting a job by August. So one certificate at a time, go climb that ladder of skills and get a job so you can have a place to live, which is the long term goal. Slowly and steadily, go for it! Prayers for peace, strength and wisdom on your journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back