Cant stop panicking

jch

Confident
I heard some domestic abuse a few houses away. Not sure which. The screaming has me in a panic. My head is replaying it in my head and I can't get calm. What should I do?

Movingforward10

MyPTSD Pro
Understandable.

(Do you want to call the police? They can knock on the doors to find out which house it is and check the situation.)

Does talking out loud to yourself help? Saying things like "I'm safe. I'm ok" etc?

Would leaving your home help and going for a walk?

Or doing something calming at home, something that helps ground you? Listening to music? Having a bath? Having a hot drink?

jch

Confident
The cops were called. Trying to calm down with headphones. I think it's helping. When I hear that kind of stuff, I get these intense conflicting emotions. On one hand I'm terrified, and just want to curl up somewhere and cry. The other though, is pure rage that begs me to do something stupid, and guilt for not grabbing the bat and going over there myself.

Movingforward10

MyPTSD Pro
I understand. Our innate freeze and fight responses.

Finding ways to ground yourself in the fact you are safe helps. Or remembering this feeling passes. And you are not your feelings.
I often, when emotionally flooded like this, forget these feelings pass. It helps to remind myself.