Caught off guard again

Enaila53

New Here
I’m a teacher and I was called into Principal’s office after recovering an email on a Friday stating, “ A behavior incident was brought to my attention, please meet me Monday morning.” Thinking it was an issue with one of the children on my caseload, I didn’t get too overly concerned until I thought more about it as the email itself was not how admin would normally address me. The anxiety started to kick in, but as I could not imagine anything I had done wrong I used a lot of self talk trying to calm.

Monday morning admin says she needs to reschedule. Still no answer on what it is in regards to. Tuesday morning I meet with her and a second administrator when they give me a write up for falsely reporting a student behavior incident and then tell me I didn’t report it correctly. ALL of which was not true. They say they have video recording of incident which I knew would be case which is why my reporting gave times and details of what was happening when I reported it within half hour of incident happening. Their perception from video is not accurate and does not cover what was happening in real time. I also had a second person, Instruction Assistant helping me as we tried to locate admin for assistance. Anyway, they also added another incident which didn’t occur (again, another witness was in the room) then verbally made some other lies up about me. I was alone with the two admin and triggered so bad all I could say was, “None of what you are saying is true.”

When I took the job three years ago I turned in an ADA Accommodation page doctor had typed up for meetings with admin. The first accommodation states I be given a detailed email on reason I may need to meet with admin if for personal reason. Second states I be allowed to bring a person off my choice to the meeting (to be my ears if I start flashing or disassociate. Neither of these happened as I didn’t realize until too late it was personal.

After three years of being only mildly affected by my PTSD, I’m now back into full blown panic attacks, nightmares, being hyper aware, distrusting everyone, and overall depressed as I know how good it was to be happy for awhile. Struggling to accept how bad the PTSD can still be. No idea what to do next…look for new job or what. They are “punishing me” by making me move to new room and from middle school to high school. I’m struggling.

Mina

MyPTSD Pro
I’m really sorry this happened to you, @Enaila53 . And I completely understand how video doesn’t tell the real-time story, although popular belief is that it that “of course it does, it’s a video” (but there’s a whole science behind how it doesn’t!).

Check eeoc dot gov (unsure of current forum policy on links, so writing it out) - it sounds as though your employer may be in violation of ADA by failing to follow your accommodation, especially if it had been properly documented and on file prior to this incident. An attorney specializing in employment law might also be able to assist, and some firms offer free initial consultation. Maybe do a web search for resources in your area, or advocacy groups regarding ADA compliance as well?

Please let this incident push you into advocating for yourself, if you can handle doing so without damaging your health, because you’re definitely worth it. Wishing you the best!

Enaila53

New Here
I’m really sorry this happened to you, @Enaila53 . And I completely understand how video doesn’t tell the real-time story, although popular belief is that it that “of course it does, it’s a video” (but there’s a whole science behind how it doesn’t!).

Check eeoc dot gov (unsure of current forum policy on links, so writing it out) - it sounds as though your employer may be in violation of ADA by failing to follow your accommodation, especially if it had been properly documented and on file prior to this incident. An attorney specializing in employment law might also be able to assist, and some firms offer free initial consultation. Maybe do a web search for resources in your area, or advocacy groups regarding ADA compliance as well?

Please let this incident push you into advocating for yourself, if you can handle doing so without damaging your health, because you’re definitely worth it. Wishing you the best!
Thank you. I did reach out to therapist I used to see and have an appointment this week. I’m so shook up still by the treatment of people I trusted and did so much for, suddenly turning around and treating me so poorly. I received highly distinguished marks last year on evaluations and suddenly they are making things up and finding fault in everything. I wish I could afford just to quit teaching altogether. It is no longer an enjoyable profession.

Friday

My experience with schools is that they are NEVER going to remember any accomodations, IEP/504, court orders, or anything else that they are legally required to do. Instead, as either a student, parent, or employee? If you want them to actually do what they’ve agreed to do, or are legally required to do whether or not they agree (and THAT becomes an argument every time; Oy! It does. not. matter. if you personally don’t “see the need” or agree or “don’t have time to blah blah blah”… it’s a legal freaking requirement that you do so, regardless of your personal feelings or calendar!) …each and every single time you want it done, it has to be brought up to the individual or group you’re dealing with.

Eventually certain individuals will remember, but that takes years and dozens of repetitions, except for in the extremely rare exception .

The learning curve with schools, fairly ironically, is pretty damn flatline.

Which is not to put the onus on you, for what happened. At all.

It’s just practicalities.

Other industries (for the most part, although there are exceptions) have to loop in HR, and HR pulls up relevant files (and will lose their shit if the people looping them into the meeting do not adhere to ADA accomodations and other legalities)… and everyone IN that meeting (or email chain) stands to both be fired AND sued (or at best get black marks in their own files, effecting their everything for a period of months to years following).

Schools, otoh? Cheerfully break restraining orders, HIPAA and other privacy laws, ADA accommodations, the whole 9 yards… with wild abandon. And no repercussions.

It’s crazy making.

arfie

MyPTSD Pro
i am thrilled that you have reached out here AND scheduled an appointment with a therapist you already have a relationship with before doing anything. my number one goal with any psychotic episode is to regain my full senses before i do anything, whatsoever. it is, indeed, discouraging how quickly ptsd can resurface, but the good news is that you had the presence of mind to ply therapy tools before expecting yourself to know the best course of action. think time is a great investment in such events.

steadying support while you work it through, enalia. easy does it. itsy bitsy baby steps.

Enaila53

New Here
i am thrilled that you have reached out here AND scheduled an appointment with a therapist you already have a relationship with before doing anything. my number one goal with any psychotic episode is to regain my full senses before i do anything, whatsoever. it is, indeed, discouraging how quickly ptsd can resurface, but the good news is that you had the presence of mind to ply therapy tools before expecting yourself to know the best course of action. think time is a great investment in such events.

steadying support while you work it through, enalia. easy does it. itsy bitsy baby steps.
Thank you for the encouragement. I’m still too shaken to think straight enough and don’t want to respond to the mistreatment emotionally, but want to do so rationally.

Charbella

MyPTSD Pro
I’m a teacher and I was called into Principal’s office after recovering an email on a Friday stating, “ A behavior incident was brought to my attention, please meet me Monday morning.” Thinking it was an issue with one of the children on my caseload, I didn’t get too overly concerned until I thought more about it as the email itself was not how admin would normally address me. The anxiety started to kick in, but as I could not imagine anything I had done wrong I used a lot of self talk trying to calm.

Monday morning admin says she needs to reschedule. Still no answer on what it is in regards to. Tuesday morning I meet with her and a second administrator when they give me a write up for falsely reporting a student behavior incident and then tell me I didn’t report it correctly. ALL of which was not true. They say they have video recording of incident which I knew would be case which is why my reporting gave times and details of what was happening when I reported it within half hour of incident happening. Their perception from video is not accurate and does not cover what was happening in real time. I also had a second person, Instruction Assistant helping me as we tried to locate admin for assistance. Anyway, they also added another incident which didn’t occur (again, another witness was in the room) then verbally made some other lies up about me. I was alone with the two admin and triggered so bad all I could say was, “None of what you are saying is true.”

When I took the job three years ago I turned in an ADA Accommodation page doctor had typed up for meetings with admin. The first accommodation states I be given a detailed email on reason I may need to meet with admin if for personal reason. Second states I be allowed to bring a person off my choice to the meeting (to be my ears if I start flashing or disassociate. Neither of these happened as I didn’t realize until too late it was personal.

After three years of being only mildly affected by my PTSD, I’m now back into full blown panic attacks, nightmares, being hyper aware, distrusting everyone, and overall depressed as I know how good it was to be happy for awhile. Struggling to accept how bad the PTSD can still be. No idea what to do next…look for new job or what. They are “punishing me” by making me move to new room and from middle school to high school. I’m struggling.
Judging by the use of principal instead of other term I’m guessing that means you’re in the states. If so you have recourse, there should be an HR department where the document is kept. You should address the issues of your ADA not being followed if nothing else. Then I’d find someone I trust to take with me to any future interactions with the administration since they clearly can’t be trusted. I’m sorry, I’m a teacher too and I’ve had some terrible admin that I wouldn’t trust as far as I could throw them. Currently I have a wonderful one. Teaching has changed so I totally understand your sentiment of wanting to quit.