• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

CBD for PTSD - Your thoughts if you’ve tried it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PBJ0309

Just wondering whether anyone here has tried taking CBD for PTSD symptoms, and if so, what you thought of it? The research seems to be pretty promising, but am curious to hear about real life experiences.

I know several vets who use it for ptsd and I had some really good results for the ptsd/fibro combo.
I stopped because I was needing larger doses for the same affect and it gets expensive really fast

My doc said it might help to go back and try it again just when I'm in a flare up - more as a response treatment than a preventative one but haven't gotten around to that yet.

I have tried twice. This last time ( during this summer) was more useful I believe ( the first time had no tangible benefit for me ) but i found that my nightmares not around the trauma subject increased dramatically.

I have decided to not continue for now.

I started taking it daily in the last week and I had no idea what to expect. The frequency of out-of-the-blue adrenaline rushes has significantly reduced- from about every hour or two, to only a few times/day. The one I wake up with is still there. I have comorbidities though, which definitely factor in.

What I have read about cbd is that our endocannabinoid systems respond uniquely to it, which is why we have to give ourselves time to experiment to find our best dosage and schedule for taking it.

I’m taking a prepared oil right now, but I’ve purchased cbd bud and will be making my own oil so that it’s much more affordable. It’s $75+/30ml CAD where I live (also legal). FWIW, I gave cbd oil to my (teen) son for pain relief after delicate but not life-threatening surgery and he didn’t need anything else and healed up perfectly. I had pharmaceutical pain killers ready in case, but he never wanted or needed them. He managed his own dosage and schedule.

Don’t believe the hype that it has no side effects. I don’t deny that it is helpful to many people, I just get irritated when I see it being pushed as this miracle solution that won’t have any side effects. I tried it a few times and ended up with anxiety from hell. Yes, I realize I may be in the minority, however I believe that people should know that they could have side effects, including a worsening of symptoms. I don’t say this to scare you away. I say this so that you can go into it with your eyes wide open. If you do decide to try it, I sincerely hope it helps you, as my experience with it was quite undesirable. I hope that you are in the group of people that it benefits without side effects. Do your research and find a product that is high quality. Go slow with starting/increasing your dose. Good luck!

Been using it for 2 1/2 years. Ran out for a day about a month ago. Don't want to do that again. It seems to damp down the background anxiety for me. That allows me more time to remove those stress rising thoughts and fend off intrusive thoughts better. Some CBD can give you a sense of well being and improve mood.
The right oil (yes there are huge differences in what you get from one product to another) is key. Less processed and filtered is better, always. That and find a supplier that uses glass bottles. Glass does not react with and destroy phyto cannabinoids like plastic does.
Cannabis use is always subjective in that what works for me may do little for you. Find about three products from good sources and try them all before saying it doesn't work.

I've currently been taking CBD oil (full spectrum from Green Machine) for a month or so and I am very impressed. I tried lots of other CBD oils but this is the most effective (its made with out heating the plant and uses all of the plant) most CBD oils in shops don't have the plant- they'll look golden and aren't as effective as the dark green full spectrum stuff. So- for me it stops the morning aniexity and brings my adrenaline an anxiety down by 90% so Im not exhausted all the time by adrenaline fatigue- so I have my mornings back and much more of my day. I'm not exhausted so I can focus better. Its drastically changed by symptoms. No hypervigilance when dating. Im very impressed.

I found the same thing. The closer you get to the whole plant the better it seems to work. I think its like many other things we eat in a way. The reason fresh raw food is its good for us - its all the phyto nutrients and other little parts of the food that we need from the food, the same is true with cannabis in any form.

Don’t believe the hype that it has no side effects. I don’t deny that it is helpful to many people, I just get irritated when I see it being pushed as this miracle solution that won’t have any side effects. I tried it a few times and ended up with anxiety from hell. Yes, I realize I may be in the minority, however I believe that people should know that they could have side effects, including a worsening of symptoms. I don’t say this to scare you away. I say this so that you can go into it with your eyes wide open. If you do decide to try it, I sincerely hope it helps you, as my experience with it was quite undesirable. I hope that you are in the group of people that it benefits without side effects. Do your research and find a product that is high quality. Go slow with starting/increasing your dose. Good luck!
I agree, it’s not a cure all. Simply for me it takes the edge off. I’m afraid of most of the other “medications”, and I only classify it as medical pot as sort of a joke because, I grew up way back when. : ). The biggest thing of all is the the footprint, or lack thereof. I’m not dependent or if I am, it pales by comparison. I’ll take running out of weed over running out of pills or being rum sick any time. Rum sick is how the old sailors referred to what liquor can do. I’ve seen it. But you are correct and I agree. And it does have side effects . Like being a pot head lol! idk about the oil.

For me, it was a choice that freed me from opioid addiction and doesn't add any chemicals to interact with my maintenance medications for addison's and thyroid.
I would likely have been in therapy for my PTSD a lot sooner if there were not so many shared symptoms between thyroid, addison's, and PTSD. I may also have avoided a ton of trouble with addiction to opioids multiple times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back