• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

CBT for trauma? I thought CBT was about the “here and now” not the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucyLou

Learning
Hi, I'm starting with a CBT therapist on the 5th July and just have some things running around in my head about it.
I don't know if it's right for me, as I thought CBT was about the "here and now" as opposed to what's happened in the past....I was told I'd be starting trauma therapy for CSA...but that wouldn't be what CBT is, would it? Will the CBT therapist have access to all Mt notes from the MH assessments I had? Will she see the CSA disclosure? The appt is via zoom, would I need to keep my camera on throughout the appt?

CBT is about the thoughts you have and how these affect you in the here and now, but it also looks at where those thoughts formed and that might have been in the past and during trauma.
I'm not a fan of CBT, but it does suit some people, and in the UK, it's the first option on the NHS for most things.
First appointments usually go through all the paperwork and explain how it works. It might be an idea to write your questions down to ask the therapist when you meet them.
I'm sorry I can't help with zoom. I hope it goes well for you though.

Hi, I'm starting with a CBT therapist on the 5th July and just have some things running around in my head about it.
I don't know if it's right for me, as I thought CBT was about the "here and now" as opposed to what's happened in the past....I was told I'd be starting trauma therapy for CSA...but that wouldn't be what CBT is, would it? Will the CBT therapist have access to all Mt notes from the MH assessments I had? Will she see the CSA disclosure? The appt is via zoom, would I need to keep my camera on throughout the appt?
As far as the camera on zoom, just ask the therapist if it would be okay. Many therapists can do therapy via phone calls, so ask and see what yours prefers. You can also close down the screen that shows you so that you don’t have to see yourself.

i've heard ptsd called a disorder which keeps our past continually invading the here and now. it is a good habit to find new coping mechanisms for in the here and now.

Reactions: Sam
I was told I'd be starting trauma therapy for CSA...but that wouldn't be what CBT is, would it?
There’s TF-CBT (trauma focused cognitive behavioral therapy) that is one of the gold standards for treating PTSD.

There’s also a more generalized form of CBT that’s often used both by trauma therapists & therapists whose focus is elsewhere …that is focused on learning to manage/change/control one’s own thoughts/feelings/behaviors …which most people with PTSD struggle with tremendously (dysregulation, panic & anxiety attacks, cognitive distortions & core beliefs arising from trauma as well as the disorder itself and the coping mechanisms we learn to employ; etc.).

The following links will probably give you a better idea than I could on how both/either CBT or TF-CBT are useful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back