• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Ch-ch-changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellSue

Not Active
I was a public transit riding Portlander until July 22nd when our rented and loaded down minivan left downtown Portland, Oregon looking for a new life for my husband and me. We visited family for 3 days in central Oregon and then made our way to Silver City, NM.

We arrived at our prepaid extended stay motel late on Sunday the 26th. Our beds were clean and made and we fell into them and slept only to discover in the morning, after letting our wild kitties out that the room hadn't been fully cleaned. The bathtub was gross, there was urine on the toilet and wall and rotting food in the unplugged freezer, etc. Unfortunately, I couldn't risk a cleaning lady scaring my cats into the street, so I cleaned it. The manager was very apologetic but we were off to a bad start. It got worse because our neighbors liked to hang out in front of the shade over our room to smoke. I was pretty anxious and the arthritis in my hips was badly flared from all the traveling, too.

And just like that...

We had been in NM for less than 3 days when my husband applied for a teaching job, got an interview that day and was hired that day. He does not have his teaching license, yet, but is enrolled in a Master's of Arts in Teaching program in NM and therefore became eligible to get an alternative teaching license only maybe 2 days before getting hired. It was either great or not so great that the job was 5 hours away. He was hired based on a phone interview. He had not been to the school yet.

We rented another vehicle and drove to Santa Fe that weekend or should I say last weekend... We rented a hotel for Sunday night and spent most of our time looking for a place to live. We were not able to find a place in the town my husband starts work in tomorrow, so we rented a place month-to-month in Santa Fe, about 45 minutes away.

Then, we drove back to Silver City, rented a Uhaul, turned in our Enterprise vehicle, gathered our things and drove back to our new apartment in Santa Fe. We got back here on Wednesday, bought a car on Thursday and we continue to look for a rental closer to my husband's job.

In the meantime, I am certain I have been a pleasure to live with - obsessing over every detail of every thing we do but most especially our living situation. My old standby is to buy an RV and rent an RV space and I don't want to let that go but my husband is resistant because he doesn't have time to be fixing things in an old travel trailer as a graduate student with a math teaching position. Fair enough. I get it. I also get that I can't do a lot of the things I used to do or I would be promising to do all the repairs, myself.

The problem is that my husband has double vision and I don't like him driving. I don't feel that it is safe. This is one reason we didn't have vehicles in Portland. Now, we must have one and he admits that he doesn't want to make the drive. So, I promised to drive him. This means I'll be driving 3 hours a day and putting about 100 miles on our new used car daily until we find a place closer to his work. Up until we started on this trip, I hadn't driven for over a year and I have a lot of anxiety behind the wheel - been in a LOT of accidents, though luckily not when I was driving.

We both want to feel settled but the powers that be say not yet.

Rentals are scarce in the area he works in. We have been in the running for a couple but nothing is solid, yet. There is one that may work out next month but the landlord is very indecisive about things.

I am trying to be patient but am afraid my anxiety is getting the better of me often and I am afraid we are not near the finish line yet. And this doesn't even account for any money issues and there are plenty of those going on. Though, we had enough to make it this far and thank God for that.

There is still plenty to be done but for now our apartment is pretty great and we feel safe. It's clean and quiet. AND we are paid up until the 3rd of September, so we probably won't be moving around quite as quick in the upcoming weeks. I can live with that.

It feels like this has been quite the whirlwind. I don't think I have ever done this much in only 19 days in my life.

Last edited:
Sounds like an adventure!! Maybe after hubby gets settled in at work he will have some connections to help ya'll find a closer place to his work.

thanks for the update. Was wondering if ya'll made it to your destination and even if you are anxious, sounds like it was a good move.

New Mexico is a beautiful state. Hope you find some peace there. I always said if I ever have to move again I'm going to New Mexico. It was one of the most spiritual places I've ever been to.

Good luck and hope thing keeps falling into place.

Sounds like an adventure!! Maybe after hubby gets settled in at work he will have some connections to help ya'll find a closer place to his work.

thanks for the update. Was wondering if ya'll made it to your destination and even if you are anxious, sounds like it was a good move.

New Mexico is a beautiful state. Hope you find some peace there. I always said if I ever have to move again I'm going to New Mexico. It was one of the most spiritual places I've ever been to.

Good luck and hope thing keeps falling into place.

Thanks!

It's definitely a good move. He already texted me, today - on his first day of distance teaching (from the school) - and said that the students were great. I was a tad worried because of cultural differences with him being a white boy from rural Oregon but he's a nice guy first and foremost.

It is very pretty here. I had never been to NM before, so it was all a surprise to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back