• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Changes at work have taken away my safety and left me triggered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mari

Learning
So, there have been changes at my work that have taken away all of the things that made me feel safe. Work itself can be very triggering for me, but I lucked into a really safe situation there because I was sat in a corner with my back against the wall and with a group of people that were warm and inviting and safe. One in particular has made a tremendous difference for me and doesn't even realize it. So, strong social bonds were I felt included and connected along with personal safety in my space.

But then I got moved to a different team and my social support network is gone. My heart rate used to actually go down when I got to work because of who I sat with. I can't overstate how important it was for me to have connections and warmth with people I had things in common with who were friendly. Now I sit with people who are 20 years younger than me that I have nothing in common with who don't say hello, the mood and the space is literally dark, plus I sit where people are constantly walking behind me. (Even weirder, the floors vibrate when people walk around and it's jarring because I feel like I'm going to fall through the floor constantly.)

Yesterday was my first day on this new team. I made silly mistakes that made me feel humiliated (a trigger) because I was dissociating. Last night the nightmares started almost immediately and it was hours of struggling to tamp down the terror. Today I've called out because I just could not do it. Work itself is a trigger and it's been a years' long struggle to get to this point and now all my safety is gone. Especially my one friend who was so intuitively good and made me feel like I was a human being and seen. I've lost so much and now I've lost my friends.

I'm really sorry you are in a place where you no longer feel safe. I also work in a situation where I am constantly triggered and I know how very difficult it is.

In addition to wondering if you can be moved back to your old team, I'm wondering if you have a history of PTSD and if your employer is aware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back