• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Changing To A Different Therapist

Status
Not open for further replies.

cypher

Confident
I kinda like my T, she knows all about my trauma except one thing I cant bring myself to tell her. She cant write prescriptions and I have a 40$ copay. To get meds prescribed, I see the pshychyatrist for about 15-20 minutes tops and still have to pay the full 40$ copay. I do not like this at all.

I'm comfortable with my T now, but she has issues with scheduling and stuff. I feel she helps and is supportive, but get the idea she is troubled with what I'm saying. She called me today saying she was sick. However, I do not want to keep paying 2 copays (one for T, and one for P).

Anyone have experience having a pshycyatrist as a T. Do you like it because it saves you money from gooing between T and P? Do you notice any major diffrences between them?

I'm just wondering because I feel like I'm being ripped off seeing my pshyc. for 15-20 minutes and paying a full copay. I would like to change to a pshychyatrist so it's all in one. I do not want to go over what happened again though to another person.

Thanks
-Cypher

Cypher,

Consider yourself lucky, seriously! My insurance, which is a PPO and not even an HMO, will only allow me to see certain therapists. My therapist, however, does not accept insurance but I can file the claims to my insurance company, but they will only pay if they "approve" him. Their list of therapists is minimal and I choose to see a therapist who specializes in PTSD, he of course is not their "list".

I pay 120.00 a session for my Psychologist. I use my PCP for my meds and that is a 20.00 co-pay, however, my therapist thinks that I need to see a Psychiatrist because they are more experienced with dealing with the meds. There are long waiting lists in my area to see a Psychiatrist and almost all of them do NOT take insurance -therefore, I would have to pay 300.00 for an initial visit. Mind you, I live in a "city", and yet the mental health system here sucks.

This is not my first therapist, and in my experience, you are NOT paying too much or being ripped off.

As for the "scheduling" issue, have you talked to your T about it?

Good luck.

Best,
Rachel

Almost everyone I've seen for therapy was a psychiatrist. It does make it easier to deal with med. changes and so forth, but the one thing that I don't like about this is that oftentimes, at least 40% of my session is about the medications instead of trying to get deep into the therapy aspect of why I'm there.

Cypher:

At one point I was seeing a psychiatrist and a therapist. Once my meds were adjusted, the psychiatrist appointments were less frequent.

cypher,
I too do not like going to a P and a T due to co-pays. I was seeing a P for 10 minutes for her to write out pres I needed. That was it out of the office I went. It is hard to find a good T which I do have. I changed P'S and had to start all over like you say and I do not like rehashing my story over and over. Now, my P is quitting her practise due to health issues and if I need a pres changed, I have to go to a new one again. I wish T's could prescribe. I have seen many T's throughout my life and finally found one who is compassionate and genuinely cares about me. Sometimes you do have to move on until you are comfortable in all ways.

My T except for last session usually runs late sometimes close to an hour. I have accepted it because I am comfortable with him. He means well and is always busy trying to help someone and let them finish with what's on their mind. He has gone over as far as time having me in his office as well. So, I am grateful for all his help and he is young so I do not see him having a need to retire in the near future.
sunnydaze

While I was on meds I saw my psychiatrist monthly for scripts and my therapist every two weeks. It was a little frustrating that I got 10-15 minutes with the psychiatrist and all she wanted to talk about was all of the different meds she could prescribe for me. Yeah...got that the first time. Not really interested...but thanks.

Once I got off of the meds, I have no need for her so I can save myself a co-pay and I just see my therapist.

Good luck in finding a psychiatrist that does therapy and not just write scripts.

Lisa

I see a psychotherapist. He is a therapist/doctor. He is a medical student so it is cheaper for me to get medication and therapy from one person.

Tammy

My therapist, however, does not accept insurance but I can file the claims to my insurance company, but they will only pay if they "approve" him.

If you dont mind me asking, why does he not accept insurance? Or is it your insurance he wont accept? Can you call and see if the T is approved before seeing him? Or do they make that decision afterwards, if so, why?

Their list of therapists is minimal and I choose to see a therapist who specializes in PTSD, he of course is not their "list".

Do you check the list sometimes, maybe people are being added and dropped some of the time? Maybe if you talk to him he can file with your insurance as a provider. (not sure if that was stated correctly, do you get my jist though?? If not, just ask, haha, my thoughts are usually quite disorganized.)

I pay 120.00 a session for my Psychologist.

Holy Toledo!!! 120$!!!? So is this the T youre talking about above that specializes in PTSD and does not accept insurance? Is this the co-pay price after him being "approved" by your insurance, or is the cash price he charges? How many times a month do you see him? Does this price affect the amount of times you see him per month?

I use my PCP for my meds and that is a 20.00 co-pay,

Again if you dont mind my asking, why is there such a large diffrence between pcp and T? I know most pcp's have the lower copay, and a T will have a higher one, but never heard of that much of a diffrence in prices, I guess this leads back to my previous question if the 120$ is his cash charge or copay if "approved" by your insurance. If this is a copay, why such a drastic diffrence? Do you have rx coverage?

There are long waiting lists in my area to see a Psychiatrist and almost all of them do NOT take insurance -therefore, I would have to pay 300.00 for an initial visit.

Why do they not take insurance? Or is it your insurance they do not accept? I would think if a P takes insurance, they would get much more buisness (?? not really sure about that though??) because then some/more of the people they see would not have to pay out of pocket especially such a high amount as 300$ for a 1 hour visit? (im assuming its a 1 hour visit, am I correct??)I hope you both learn to talk like fast talking auctioneers, horse raceing announcers, or those people that read the legal claims at the end of commercials. :o) So its for the initial visit thats 300$, does the price go down after that, or does it remain the same??

This is not my first therapist, and in my experience, you are NOT paying too much or being ripped off.

I dont think I'm paying to much to see my T, what gets to me is (and please dont go round up the tar and feathers for me saying this, especially after what you have to pay to see your pshyciatrist :eek:) seeing the pshycyatrist for 15 or 20 minutes and still paying the full amount as if I was there for 1 hour. Thats what I dont like. And as much as I hate to say it, for the same reason as above, I do feel like im being ripped off (I'll go hide under a rock now) but thats the way it is, so I have to accept it. So thats why I was wondering about changing and just seeing a pshychyatrist, but the posts below are very informative from their expiriences, so we'll see.

As for the "scheduling" issue, have you talked to your T about it?

No, but she self admittantly has scheduling issues. It dosnt really bother me all that much, because we have to work it out with my schedule as well.

Sorry for all the questions and stuff, just ignore them if you want, but I'de be interested about the answers. I work with insurances every day so I had a few (to many??) questions.

Take Care!!

Almost everyone I've seen for therapy was a psychiatrist. It does make it easier to deal with med. changes and so forth, but the one thing that I don't like about this is that oftentimes, at least 40% of my session is about the medications instead of trying to get deep into the therapy aspect of why I'm there.

Thanks for the post, it's extremely helpful!! Something to think about. I was thinking of switching to just a pshyciatrist to avoid 2 copays, which isnt that much of a deal when it comes down to it, but I'm almost like an obsessive saver as of now ( I really would love to go to the 2014 olympics in Sochi, Russia, and its the winter olympics which has most of my favorite events, and I'm starting to save now).

Thanks Again! Take Care

Cypher:

At one point I was seeing a psychiatrist and a therapist. Once my meds were adjusted, the psychiatrist appointments were less frequent.

hmmm.... something to think about as well, thanks for the reply!

That would be hard about changing Ts, telling the story over and over, I've been fortunate to have to do it only once (so far). Thats great you've found a T you trust and one that truly cares! That's wonderful, it's cool that he cares enough to go overtime too, great find!!

I found a site that in New Mexico and maybe Louisiana pshycologists can write rxs, maybe it will spread? Theres alot of debate over it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back