• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Climate change & anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are you feeling about the anxiety climate change is generating for you?
This is actually one of my biggest and most random OCD obsessions.
Like you I once had minor social anxiety- it evolved into avoidant personality disorder about 13 years ago and now I have OCD (maybe as a result) dx 6 years ago.

the fact that basically 20 people on this planet make decisions for the rest of the 7.2 billion people- terrifying
What are you doing to manage it?
mostly avoid (APD is great for that stuff) news/ media .... everything! that might even touch on troubled planet issues.

ocd compulsion- rationalize that humans have been on the brink since we've been on this planet.

In the early 19th century leading scientists predicted major world wide famines- we would not be able to produce enough food to feed world populations. They were completely right but then along came the combine, shortly afterwards other inventions that completely revolutionized how we make and produce food

viruses have wiped out 2/3 of country populations- humans found vaccines and medicines.

our entire species makes advancements because of threats. no threats. no need for advancements. one thing we do... and pretty much everyone on this forum is small scale proof of it; we survive. humans survive.

and mother nature takes care of herself.
the population continues to rise and yet there's the exact same amount of oxygen in the air today as there was 100 years ago- how?
more people=more oxygen use but there's the EXACT SAME amount.....

considering half of the oxygen we breathe comes from tiny microbes in the ocean ... thats pretty frikin cool.

i look at inventions coming up- like batteries that pull CO2 from the air to charge, countries in Africa that siphon methane gas from under lakes to reduce pressure so that giant bubbles don't quietly kill entire villages, japanese turbines that run off of ocean current changes. Mining water off of jupiters moons. Even looking at some of jupiters moons, frozen waste lands now but 5 billion years in our future when our sun expands into a red giant, will be warmed enough to melt and possibly support human life.

so yeh, avoid the negative doomsayers as best i can and actively seek out solutions and try to let go of the things i cant control.

Hell, just for shits and giggles:

Chickens!! I haven't had ants since I've had chickens.

@blackemerald1, I have anxiety about climate change. It has been made worse by mankind. All I can do to reduce my anxiety is to plant my own food, grow trees and flowers, use chickens instead of pesticides and have no lawn so I don't use weed killer. I also recycle. These small things help my anxiety about the climate change, even though they don't do a lot.

Thank you everyone - I actually like not being alone on this. I know that's not great for any of you. But misery likes company - right? lol

try to let go of the things i cant control.

^^This is something I have to keep telling myself all of the time about so much. When I feel my anxiety levels rising because of some sort of climate event etc... I have to remind myself again and again.

I mean I say that to myself about all manner of things that I don't have control over. I'm hoping one day it really will sink in. So good advice.

plant my own food, grow trees and flowers,

I'm into the growing my own vegies, citrus and flowers too. I haven't got around to the chickens yet.

I also recycle.

^Me too. Well not because we have a choice. We all do because we must. Otherwise they don't empty the bins. So got that covered.
But then there was the scandal about how China stopped buying our high grade recycled stuff and even though we were paying for it all to be recycled - they sent billions of tonnes to landfills... geese - but anyway it seems that is being sorted.

even though they don't do a lot.

^It doesn't seem like it but I suppose I think if everyone did their little part - the environment might stand a chance. Better than nothing?

Part of my anxiety is just about that really? Nothing the little people can do will help. Governments and global corporations need to do this. But then I think no.... the little people... make a big difference if there is enough of them.

Evenso, I feel helpless and unable to resolve the problem. My little bit is not going to save the environment, fauna or flora I know. So, in accordance with rule number #one. Don't worry about things out of my control, I tell myself... stop worrying or getting anxious about it. Repeat, repeat, repeat lol.... Why won't it sink in? Me worrying about it will not change anything.

Why won't it sink in? Me worrying about it will not change anything.
You have to be willing to live with the uncertainty.
You can't accurately predict what will happen and you have to trust that you can handle whatever comes up when/if it does.

And you already do this, probably 100+ times a day with a bunch of things but you don't even notice.

I agree, we can all do something and that all adds up to at least minimise some of the damage. One of my relatives said they could stop all flights but then they would never do that cause .. $$$

They said something about 9/11, that all flights stopped and apparently the air started to heal back then? Not sure if that's true or not.

that all flights stopped and apparently the air started to heal back then? Not sure if that's true or not.

i dont think air traffic counts for much CO2 release into the air and 2 days of grounding some flights... even if every plane stopped flying... the Earth's atmosphere won't heal in 2 days.

Yeah, saw road trains stocked with mega pods of drinking water travelling down the Pacific Highway yesterday, presumably shipping water to communities that have run dry. That wasn't even a thing 10 years ago.

Reckon the world will change faster than any political policies. Much like Indonesia's attitude - if the capital is sinking from rising sea levels? Meh! Lets just shift the capital somewhere else.

Humans will adapt for the most part. Doesn't mean it ain't gonna be shitty.

i dont think air traffic counts for much CO2 release into the air and 2 days of grounding some flights... even if every plane stopped flying... the Earth's atmosphere won't heal in 2 days.

Flights and our food sources are the two of the biggest polluters that we can impact. Regrettably I have connection to both industries.

We can’t heal from PTSD in two days either, but yet we undertake the longer term work. Long term doesn’t mean not worth it.

Well now that a lot of countries have been required or forced to shut down their industries, airlines etc there is a gathering of pace about how clean the air is, how nature is returning to places it once was.

I like that something good? is maybe happening because we're not out there doing our usual thing. But is it really that good?

I don't like the environmentalists beginning to say that this is the way it should stay now. They seem to think we can all stay indoors & do sfa forever now. What? :hilarious:

So monkeys can scamper in temples etc?? :banghead: I wonder if they know that a lot of those monkeys will die off because the humans (tourists) are not feeding them their leftover trash meals?

An artificially over bred population of animals that rely on human beings will decline if those humans change their behaviours and reduce the food supply.

All of the PPE stuff is plastic - so - it's not all good. :cautious:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back