Cognitive Distortions - TEAM CBT- David Burns' Podcasts

ms spock

Sponsor
I have been reading David Burns' new book "Feeling Good", listening to his YouTube offerings, his podcasts and looking at everything of his that I can. I am reading this one now.

David Burns newest book called "Feeling Great" which was a seminal book on CBT. I have read this and I have done the exercises. I probably need to revisit this one.

So I have listened to quite a few of his podcasts, probably about 40. I am not listening to them in order but I think I will so I can follow the progression of ideas.

You can go here and search for whatever issue that you want : List of Feeling Good Podcasts | Feeling Good

I am engaging in the distorted thought/cognition of "emotional reasoning".

In this thread I am going to write about the top ten distorted cognitions and insights I get from listening to him and doing the written exercises.

1. All-or-Nothing Thinking.

You look at things in absolute, black-and-white categories.

Yes I do this. I am catching it more at times.

2. Overgeneralization.

You view a single negative event as a never-ending pattern of defeat.

Yes I do this.

3. Mental filter.

You dwell on the negatives and ignore the positives. This is like the drop of ink that discolors the entire beaker of water.
I do this as well!

4. Discounting Positives.

You insist your positive qualities don't count.
I do this as well.

5. Jumping to Conclusions.

You jump to conclusions not warranted by the facts.

Mind-Reading. You assume that people are reacting negatively to you.

Fortune-Telling. You predict that things will turn out badly.
I think everyone is judging me and thinking I am a bad person.

6. Magnification or Minimization.

You blow things way out of proportion or shrink them.
I do this as well.

7. Emotional Reasoning.

You reason from your feelings: “I eel like an idiot, so I must be one.” Or "I feel hopeless. This means I'll never get better."
This seems to be a favourite of mine.

8. Should Statements.

You criticize yourself or other people with “shoulds,” “shouldn'ts,”“musts,” “oughts,” and “have tos.” Self-Directed Shouldslead to feelings of guilt and inferiority.

Other-Directed Shoulds lead to feelings of bitterness, anger and frustration. Hidden Shoulds are rules and should statements that are implied by your negative thoughts.
I beat myself over the head with this one.

9. Labeling.

Instead of saying, “I made a mistake,” you tell yourself, “I'm a jerk” or “I'm a loser.”
Getting better at this one.

10. Self-Blame and Other-Blame.

You find fault instead of solving the problem.

Self-Blame.
You blame yourself for something you weren't entirely responsible for.

Other-Blame.
You blame others and overlook ways you contributed to the problem
I am improving on this one. I am blaming myself less.

Last edited:

ms spock

Sponsor
Professionals are less than 10% successful at judging what their clients are feeling. A simple survey before and after the session makes them much more accountable. The Daily Mood Sheet is a potentially highly effective tool.

Training in empathy would stop a lot of damage to patients.

Last edited:

ms spock

Sponsor
So I am back on another David Burns' kick.

I have listened to all of these ones. I am gaining more skills each day.

ms spock

Sponsor
David Burns has gone so much further than his book "Feeling Good", "Feeling Great" is just excellent. It goes that much further.

I am listening to the podcasts and studying as much as I can.

Last edited:

ms spock

Sponsor
So I listened to all of these as well @Movingforward10 I am learning so much. You can watch them YouTube as well as on David Burns' website.

and also The website of David D. Burns, MD | 002: T = Testing — A Boring Topic with Exciting Implications | Feeling Good

Last edited:

ms spock

Sponsor
Listening to this one today.

This one was funny with some of David Burns' summation of Buddhism. They could be good memes. And he really has a big heart. The skills are ones that I want to obtain.

and

He cuts through a lot of rubbish. No such thing as stress - you might have issues in not saying no, or keep taking too much.

and

Do the action and the motivation comes, don't wait for it to come. Set 5 minutes and a time and do it. He went through all the ways you can think your way into procrastination loops.

Last edited: