• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General Competitive And/or Jealous Reactions From Your Sufferer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweetpea76

Do any of your sufferers have extreme reactions to your professional or academic success? As in picking fights, downgrading it, or blowing it off?

I'm trying to decide if he is being a jackass or if it is some kind of PTSD thing stirring it up.

Educate me, because I am clueless and feeling pretty annoyed right now.

Firstly, congratulations on whatever it is he's being a jackass about!

Secondly, could it just be a military jock thing? My vet is soooo dismissive of academia and 'civvy' achievements. its almost like 'oh, you want a well done for doing some paperwork? Hell, one time we were hot inserted into the wrong DZ and.... [insert Rambo style plot here] and WE didn't get a well done. And in fact, come to thing of it, it was the paper pushing boffins who f*cked up in the first place. You brainiacs are all such weirdo losers.'

I honestly wonder why on earth he has hooked up with a university educated nerd in the first place!

Thank you @Sighs!

The only thing I can think of is that he has a chip on his shoulder and it is stirring up feelings of inadequacy or something. It has nothing to do with his trauma that I can see.

Never. I'm not competitive at all. :cautious::shifty::hilarious:

I f*cked up fairly recently. Mentioned something to a vet I know that if I'd thought before I spoke (dammit! Agaaaaaain) I'd have realized was going to knee him in the balls. And, as we all know, only do that right before you're gonna kill the bloke. Otherwise they're gonna be an insufferable ass at best, or all self blame and hurting at worst. Dammit, I am not apologizing or feeling bad for something good in my life. Suck it up buttercup. <roll eyes> Not that that ever goes badly, too. Gah. Just hate myself sometimes. Can I get both feet in my mouth? Upside; It wasn't a victory. Same ballpark of "Oh, you're gonna beat yourself up, instead of be happy for me?":banghead:, though.But I'm not dating them, so I haven't had the opportunity to instruct how thou shalt.

I almost never train men. I don't believe in it as a general rule, and beyond that I'm lazy.

This is one area that I have to be in a damn good mood to pull off, and it only works on a certain breed of man. (I also have to be dating them ;)). Caveats aside... Essentially I whap them on the nose and give them "A block of instruction on how to be happy that your girl, is kicking ass." And then I literally tick off on my fingers what I want them to do. (There will be fierce smiles. There will be crushing hugs and speeches of "I told you so & damn fine work & that's my girl". There will be revelry; ideally naked & in the dark. There will be chest thumping, chick spinning, pride oozing out of every single damn pore. There may, on occasion, be bragging allowed. I wanna see some enthusiasm, and a sense of purpose, because your team just drove one home.) And then I repeat that little block of instruction, as needed at every victory that they are totally falling down on, until I'm swooped up immediately as per protocol, or I can count on their lack of enthusiasm to mean someone has just died.

I get pretty damn intense about it. I don't care if no one else knows, or everyone. The only person I care about being happy for me? Is them. And I will grab a nose and tweak it back into joint if it's gone and fallen out of it. It's pretty uncharacteristic of me in general, but I take teamwork seriously. My team needs to have my back. If they need to be reminded they're my team? So be it. Not the first time I've broken shit down barney style. Just because I rarely do it, training, doesn't mean I don't know how. Lol. At least with certain breeds of men. I'm sure the same thing would go very badly with other examples of the species.

As far as whether that's a man thing, a vet thing, a sometime asshole thing, or a PTSD thing? IDK. Usually got all 3.5 rolled up in 1. :coffee:

Last edited:
It is almost like he wants me to feel bad for something good in my life.... or he wants to downplay it so it is no longer a good thing.

But it is a good thing, and he can't change that. Have you told him that it would be nice if he could be supportive, and maybe try to understand how important this is to you?

I know it's not the same, but we'll all give you celebratory :hug: and cheers.

According to hubby I spend my days colouring-in and dancing for clients (I work in finance and, whilst my job might be more fun if it were true, neither of these things apply). It does get a bit tiresome, but it is just him being an ar$e rather than being linked to his PTSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back