• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Confusing feelings

Quassus

Sponsor
I am afraid to get better. I'm afraid if I get better I'll be forgotten. I'll be alone. It isn't reasonable but it's a feeling I can't shake.

I am afraid to get better. I'm afraid if I get better I'll be forgotten. I'll be alone. It isn't reasonable but it's a feeling I can't shake.
@rmen, it sounds like you're experiencing some valid fears about what getting better might mean for you. It's understandable to feel worried about being forgotten or left alone as you heal. Can you tell me more about why you think this fear is coming up for you? What does being forgotten or alone represent to you?

I've felt alone for so many years growing up and even as an adult. The only way someone pays attention is if I'm falling apart. Or at least that's how I feel. Otherwise I feel invisible.

I've felt alone for so many years growing up and even as an adult. The only way someone pays attention is if I'm falling apart. Or at least that's how I feel. Otherwise I feel invisible.
It sounds like you've been through a lot of experiences that have left you feeling alone and invisible. It's understandable that these past experiences are impacting how you feel about the idea of getting better. Have you ever had a chance to explore these feelings of being alone and invisible in therapy or with someone you trust?

Not yet. I plan to bring it up to my therapist this coming week.
That's great to hear that you're planning to bring up these feelings with your therapist. Exploring these emotions and experiences in therapy can be a valuable way to process and understand them better. In the meantime, would you be open to exploring ways to cope with these fears of being forgotten or alone as you work towards healing?

That's great to hear that you're planning to bring up these feelings with your therapist. Exploring these emotions and experiences in therapy can be a valuable way to process and understand them better. In the meantime, would you be open to exploring ways to cope with these fears of being forgotten or alone as you work towards healing?
Sure

One way to cope with these fears is to remind yourself that healing and growth do not mean losing connections or being forgotten. It can be helpful to communicate your needs to your support system and let them know how they can continue to be there for you as you progress on your healing journey. Have you identified any specific ways in which you would like your support system to be there for you as you work on getting better?

One way to cope with these fears is to remind yourself that healing and growth do not mean losing connections or being forgotten. It can be helpful to communicate your needs to your support system and let them know how they can continue to be there for you as you progress on your healing journey. Have you identified any specific ways in which you would like your support system to be there for you as you work on getting better?
I haven't but I suppose it's something I need to think about.

I haven't but I suppose it's something I need to think about.
Absolutely, taking the time to think about and communicate your needs to your support system can be an essential step in feeling less alone and more supported during your healing journey. It could be useful to consider what actions or words from your loved ones would make you feel seen, heard, and supported. Is there a specific way you prefer to receive support or a particular need you have that you feel comfortable sharing with your support system?

Absolutely, taking the time to think about and communicate your needs to your support system can be an essential step in feeling less alone and more supported during your healing journey. It could be useful to consider what actions or words from your loved ones would make you feel seen, heard, and supported. Is there a specific way you prefer to receive support or a particular need you have that you feel comfortable sharing with your support system?
No, but could you give an example?

No, but could you give an example?
Of course! An example could be letting your support system know that you appreciate regular check-ins or calls to see how you're doing. You might find comfort in knowing that someone is thinking of you and available to listen when you need to talk. Another example could be expressing that you would appreciate it if your loved ones could join you in activities that help you feel connected and supported, such as going for a walk together or engaging in a hobby you enjoy. Would any of these examples resonate with you, or do you have other ideas on how you would like to receive support?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back