1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Confusional arousals/sleep drunkenness

Discussion in 'Sleep & Nightmares' started by Overcoming, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Overcoming

Overcoming Was I'smom

At night I have these episodes, especially if my husband wakes me out of sleep shortly after drivingd off. I wake up unable to speak well and unable to reconcile my surroundings (even though it's our home). I begin to feel like I'm losing touch with reality and dear that I will feel that way indefinitely. It's nearly inevitable that I'll go into a panic attack. I read online that it's called "confusional arousals." Does anyone else relate? I'm usually kinda drained the next day.

Fadeaway likes this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. PiggyBack

PiggyBack Member

Sounds like an ambien state. Are you taking medications?

When waking from night terrors/mares, it often takes me some time (up to half an hour) to get my bearings and ground myself back in reality. And, in a milder form, I travel so much that I often find myself waking in strange settings and it takes some time to orient myself, but that usually happens rapidly.

It seems like you really sink into a deep sleep fast. There may be a reason for that such as you're chronically sleep deprived (even if you're getting the normal amount of sleep).

Overcoming and MrMoonlight like this.
  4. KwanYingirl

KwanYingirl I'm a VIP

I suffer with the same thing @Overcoming . I get tired and just conk out. Then around 2:34 in the middle of the night I awake in a panic. I’ve tried everything to get back to sleep again. I call it my night migrations. I try to find a safe place to sleep. Then my mind starts racing and I have flashbacks. If I can stay awake until 11:00 and then go to sleep, I don’t wake up. On nights that I sleep uninterrupted, I wake up with a hangover (not alcohol-just feeling like one). This has been going on for 20 years since my chemical injury. Something happened to my brain. But the flashbacks go back to childhood as does the migrations. I don’t even try to go back to sleep anymore. But by 7:00 the next night, I’m exhausted. So I really try to stay up later.

Fadeaway and Overcoming like this.
  5. Overcoming

Overcoming Was I'smom

@PiggyBack I am on Pristiq- well the generic. As a child/teen I used to sleep walk and I've always talked in my sleep. I used to "wake" and hear things around me but not be able to open my eyes or move my body. That was all pre-meds too.

Fadeaway likes this.
  6. Fadeaway

Fadeaway I'm a VIP Donated

Yes, just didn't know what it was called. It usually stems from waking from a nightmare.

Overcoming likes this.
  7. PiggyBack

PiggyBack Member

That should help your sleep. Hypnotics (which pristiq is not) can give you that drunken, underwater feeling.

You might want to ask about seroquel. It really helps me sleep and get back to sleep during these episodes. YMMV. I remember the wonderful way my anxiety would melt away and I'd fall back to sleep.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
    Overcoming likes this.
  8. Fadeaway

Fadeaway I'm a VIP Donated

Ambien is the only medication I can take with out getting that drugged feeling. Most like serequel have horrible side effects for me. What works for some just doesn't work for others.

If the op is talking about what I think they are, it isn't hurt or helped by meds. It is an anxiety/dissociative issue.

Overcoming likes this.
  9. KwanYingirl

KwanYingirl I'm a VIP

@PiggyBack seroquel caused visual hallucinations.

Overcoming likes this.
  10. PiggyBack

PiggyBack Member

@KwanYingirl - wild. Valproic Acid was my kryptonite.

KwanYingirl and Overcoming like this.
  11. Overcoming

Overcoming Was I'smom

@Fadeaway It does remind me of dissociation. It is so bad though that even when I tell myself I'm in my home, I keep trippin and can't remember again. Panic attacks follow sometimes bc I begin to think I'm losing my mind.

KwanYingirl and Fadeaway like this.