• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Considering weaning off meds

Status
Not open for further replies.

FauxLiz

Sponsor
I currently take Trintellix (AD) and Lithium but the more research I have been doing one of the possible side effects of both meds is emotional blunting. I don't feel emotions the way that others do, depression got it, anger got it, shame/guilt got it but other emotions I just don't understand. I have a couple of major things going on in 2018 that I would like to be able to feel joy, happiness even sadness. I also think that I need to figure out this emotions thing if I am going to actually deal with my traumas.

I’m guessing that you struggle with not only depression but also mood instability, and that’s why you’re on this combination?

Do you think that the meds help with your symptoms? Or are the side effects not worth it at this point?

Emotional blunting is a side effect with many meds. My take is that when it comes to mood stabilizers, “emotional blunting” is kind of what the drugs are supposed to do.....and it’s just a matter of finding that sweet spot where the bad emotions are blunted (so the roller coaster isn’t so bad) but we’re still able to feel a range of good and bad feelings.

Adding....

I’m on a mood stabilizer right now (Trileptal), and I definitely feel some emotional blunting. However it’s slowed down my roller coaster of emotions so my spikes and dips are far less frequent. I can still feel good and bad emotions, I’m just not at their mercy anymore.

Last edited:
I went off my 'mood stabilizer' drug's because I felt nothingness. I was a zombie, looking through a impenetrable glass wall. I never found the sweet spot unfortunately.
It's hard going back, be aware & give yourself plenty of time to adjust if you do.
All the best.

@EveHarrington I have never been diagnosed with a mood disorder. The first doctor that attempted to prescribe the lithium to me was my neurologist for off label use for chronic daily migraine. I refused the prescription. A year later my P-doc wanted to try the lithium as an adjunct to the AD as off label for the depression. I had tried so many meds for depression and as an adjunct to AD's. I am not anticipating being off AD entirely but I just need to know if the meds are the issue or if it is something else that was suggested which is emotional dissociation.

Ahhh I understand. I think lithium can work on the depressive end of things if I recall correctly. I know my mood stabilizer works more on the manic end.

I don’t have a mood disorder either....which sounds crazy since my moods are wonky. But, since my moods are all externally influenced, it’s not a mood disorder.

Perhaps take things slowly and wean off one at a time, gradually....and see how things improve? I think that keeping a mood journal would help you to see the results, especially if they are subtle.

Have you got medical supervision for this process? @EveHarrington suggested take it very easy coming off, I wholeheartedly agree.

Things went sideways & I was very physically sick as well as coping with the new..err.. old me returning with a vengeance. There was some great stuff don't get me wrong.... but there was a load of old stuff too.

I was on a pretty lethal cocktail I must admit though. It depends on dosages too. Please take care. Don't be worried if you have to 'sit' on a level for a little while at time's to allow your body & mind time to adjust before continuing the tapering down.

Of course, I am speaking from just my experience & I am very sensitive to meds. You know your own situation & may have no trouble at all. Everyone & every drug is different.
Thinking of you.

Last edited:
@blackemerald1 i do have medical supervision. I don’t know how happy my Pdoc will be with the idea but I have to remind myself that he works for me not the other way around.

I also realize that I have been on some form of AD for over a decade so it may be an adjustment to live without them but I will never know unless I try.

Oh @FauxLiz so glad you have your pdoc., to assist you or, hoping will assist you!
You are so right it is your decision & you have been on AD for a long time. So I can certainly appreciate why you may wish to have a break from meds. So your pdoc should give you as much help as you need!

I hope it goes very well for you & though more than likely there will be changes (why would you be on them if they were not changing you?) I really hope you find the process of tapering off goes very well.
Drink plenty of water, try gentle exercise & please don't try to make any other major changes while doing this.
Thinking of you & please let us know how you are travelling.
b1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back