• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Undiagnosed Constant anxiety, social anxiety, & feeling inferior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matello

New Here
I get constant anxiety, social anxiety. I feel inferior and it affects my work in that I where possible avoid speaking to people because I feel I am wasting their time.
I've started reading Pete Walkers book on cptsd and also been following Crappy Childhood Fairy YouTube channel.
The things in these videos and Pete Walkers book describe me perfectly so whilst I am undiagnosed I'm pretty sure I have cptsd.
This largely comes from being shouted at and criticised continuously as a child as well as zero warmth, love and affection from my parents. Extended family on my mother's side were also mean to be because they didn't like my father.
For the last 9 months I have been seeing a counselor who uses schema therapy and I feel I am making very little progress. The main progress is around being aware of why I'm triggered in certain situations and the emotions feel too overwhelming to deal with them at the time.
So I just battle against these triggers but they just keep happening.
It could partly be my fault because it feels like such a mountain to climb and nothing has worked previously that I lose the will to work at it.
Is there a more suitable therapy out there?

hello matello. welcome to ds.

have you discussed this with your current counselor? seems like a highly pertinent discussion. don't be too sure that none of your previous therapy attempts have worked. it can often be hard to see progress until you reach that "aha moment" and it all comes together.

for what it's worth
low self-esteem, self-blame and social anxiety are all classic ptsd symptoms, but self-diagnosis is dangerous, at best, even with the help of self-help gurus such as pete walker.

Hi Arfie,
I haven't as such asked her directly. I did mention the YouTube channel which she hadn't heard of.
I will mention it to her again and say that I identify with the symptoms mentioned is cptsd.

Welcome @Matello. I agree with @arfie (as I often do). Being brave and asking specifically that you would like to get diagnosed, asking specifically what your T is hoping to help you accomplish as you don't/aren't seeing progress and maybe even ask the T what progress they've seen, specifically, and write it down to look back at it later. I promise you, I've done this with my T a lot of times. With us types, we often go from one issue straight into the next, so we never see or feel our progress...it just feels like one big ball of ongoing triggers. So, getting outside feedback from your T is critical (at least for me). But the progress is there. If the T "ho's" and "uhm's" at your direct questions, then it might be time to look for the next T, but don't write them off just yet. Of course take what helps that I say, and toss the rest...I am not a doctor, just a fellow and kindred spirit....walking this road with you.

I get constant anxiety, social anxiety. I feel inferior and it affects my work in that I where possible avoid speaking to people because I feel I am wasting their time.
I've started reading Pete Walkers book on cptsd and also been following Crappy Childhood Fairy YouTube channel.
The things in these videos and Pete Walkers book describe me perfectly so whilst I am undiagnosed I'm pretty sure I have cptsd.
This largely comes from being shouted at and criticised continuously as a child as well as zero warmth, love and affection from my parents. Extended family on my mother's side were also mean to be because they didn't like my father.
For the last 9 months I have been seeing a counselor who uses schema therapy and I feel I am making very little progress. The main progress is around being aware of why I'm triggered in certain situations and the emotions feel too overwhelming to deal with them at the time.
So I just battle against these triggers but they just keep happening.
It could partly be my fault because it feels like such a mountain to climb and nothing has worked previously that I lose the will to work at it.
Is there a more suitable therapy out there?
I have watched her too. There is another very helpful source in youtube to help deal with childhood trauma.. try to search Patrick Teahan. I found his youtube channel is very helpful understanding about childhood trauma.

I have watched her too. There is another very helpful source in youtube to help deal with childhood trauma.. try to search Patrick Teahan. I found his youtube channel is very helpful understanding about childhood trauma.
Thank you. I'll look him up on YouTube

Please do. I found his channel helpful. He is a child trauma therapist and a childhood trauma survivor himself. Dont beat yourself up (by feeling guilty of what you feel lack of progress on your therapy). Have you ever heard of EMDR therapy?

Welcome @Matello

Very best plan - Psychiatrist to diagnose and recommend treatment, psychologist to treat. Here in Canada went to my doctor who set up an appointment with the mental health nurse who got me to a psychiatrist (phone appointment) and he recommended a method of treatment, Then found a psychologist who specializes in that kind of treatment.....

Please do. I found his channel helpful. He is a child trauma therapist and a childhood trauma survivor himself. Dont beat yourself up (by feeling guilty of what you feel lack of progress on your therapy). Have you ever heard of EMDR therapy?
I have heard of EMDR yes. Have you tried it?

I have heard of EMDR yes. Have you tried it?
No, i havent tried it. I dont think i have ptsd or cptsd but i have had quite severe depression in the past and went to psychologist for 6 months.

The reason im here is to learn more about cptsd as i think the man im currently seeing with has one.

He said to me that he was growing up with an angry and dominant mother. He seems to have a father that lovely and nice tho. He never explicitly said that he is being abused by his mother, but he told me once that he has strong allergic reaction to people who is angry because of it reminds him of his mother.

I have seen him for about 6 months and i just realised that he might has cptsd recently. He is hypervigilant. He is very aware of people body languange and change of tone, he have told me in the past that there were times his mind just goes blank and he completely unaware of what happened (dissociative), when we had argument i felt that his emotion and reaction can go from 1 to 10 in seconds (disregulate emotion).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back