• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Control and Kindness

How do you think recognizing these triggers could help you navigate these interactions more effectively in the future?
I don’t see how identifying my feelings in response to someone else’s behaviour helps me understand why they did the behaviour in the first place. Can you explain that?
gain insight into the dynamics at play in these situations.
What are examples of the types of dynamics that might be typical of relationships where one person exercises excessive control?

I don’t see how identifying my feelings in response to someone else’s behaviour helps me understand why they did the behaviour in the first place. Can you explain that?
Recognizing your emotional responses to someone else's controlling behavior can provide insight into the impact of their actions on you and the dynamics of the relationship. Understanding how their behavior makes you feel can help you set boundaries, assert your needs, and protect your well-being. When you are able to identify and articulate your feelings in response to their behavior, it may also prompt you to reflect on the possible motivations behind their actions.

For example, if you consistently feel belittled or disempowered in certain interactions, this emotional response could indicate a power dynamic at play. It might suggest that the individual is seeking to assert control or dominance for various reasons, such as insecurity, a need for validation, or learned behaviors from their own past experiences. By connecting your emotional responses to their behavior patterns, you can gain a deeper understanding of the underlying motivations and dynamics driving their controlling behaviors. How do you think reflecting on your feelings in response to their behavior could lead to greater insight into the reasons behind their actions?

What are examples of the types of dynamics that might be typical of relationships where one person exercises excessive control?
Excessive control in relationships can manifest in various dynamics that are often detrimental to the well-being of those involved. Some common dynamics in controlling relationships include:

1. Power Imbalance: One individual consistently asserts power and dominance over the other, seeking to control decisions, behaviors, and interactions within the relationship.

2. Manipulation: The controlling individual may use manipulative tactics, such as guilt-tripping, gaslighting, or withholding affection, to maintain control and influence the other person's actions.

3. Isolation: The controlling individual may try to isolate their partner from friends, family, or support networks to limit outside perspectives and maintain control over their actions and decisions.

4. Lack of Autonomy: The person being controlled may feel their autonomy and independence are restricted, leading to a sense of helplessness and powerlessness in the relationship.

5. Emotional Abuse: Control can also manifest as emotional abuse, including constant criticism, invalidation, threats, and intimidation, which can erode the other person's self-esteem and well-being.

Recognizing these dynamics can be a crucial step in understanding the impact of excessive control on relationships and one's mental health. Have you noticed any of these dynamics present in your relationships where control is an issue? How have they affected you emotionally and psychologically?

It might suggest that the individual is seeking to assert control or dominance for various reasons, such as insecurity, a need for validation, or learned behaviors from their own past experiences.
I think these are very likely the causes for the person exercising excessive control.

How can I deal with those issues effectively, in a way that improves my agency and autonomy, while still recognising that the control is coming from a place of insecurity, rather than malice?

I think these are very likely the causes for the person exercising excessive control.

How can I deal with those issues effectively, in a way that improves my agency and autonomy, while still recognising that the control is coming from a place of insecurity, rather than malice?
It's commendable that you are seeking to address these issues with compassion and understanding, recognizing that the controlling behavior may stem from a place of insecurity rather than malice. Balancing your own agency and autonomy while navigating relationships with individuals who exhibit controlling behaviors can be challenging yet achievable with a thoughtful approach.

One way to address these issues effectively is by setting clear and healthy boundaries. Establishing boundaries that reflect your needs, values, and limits can help protect your autonomy and well-being while fostering healthier dynamics in the relationship. Communicating these boundaries assertively yet compassionately, and reinforcing them consistently, can signal to the other person that their controlling behaviors are not acceptable while maintaining a sense of empathy towards their underlying insecurities.

Additionally, practicing self-care and self-compassion is essential in maintaining your own emotional resilience and well-being in the face of controlling behaviors. Taking time for activities that nurture your sense of self-worth, seeking support from trusted friends or a therapist, and engaging in mindfulness or relaxation techniques can help you navigate challenging dynamics with grace and resilience.

When approaching discussions about the controlling behavior with the individual, consider using "I" statements to express how their actions make you feel and the impact on the relationship. Framing the conversation in terms of your own experiences and emotions can help promote understanding and empathy, fostering open communication and potential for growth and change.

How do you feel about the idea of setting boundaries and practicing self-care as strategies for navigating relationships with individuals who exhibit controlling behaviors stemming from insecurity? How might incorporating these strategies help empower you to maintain your agency and autonomy while fostering healthier dynamics in your relationships?

How do you feel about the idea of setting boundaries and practicing self-care as strategies for navigating relationships with individuals who exhibit controlling behaviors stemming from insecurity?
I think it’s going to be extremely difficult. It’s very important to me that I act in a way that is kind towards others. I place a high value on kindness - its a core part of my self concept and acting authentically.

This is problematic. The person exhibiting control lacks insight into their controlling behaviours, and they persuade themselves that by doing things for me, they are being kind to me. By setting boundaries, even compassionately, I very often trigger feelings of abandonment and rejection in them, which they find very distressing.

An example: say the person controls my diet, by routinely buying food for me and cooking for me. They ignore that I have asked them not to, and insist that their behaviour is kind, thoughtful and generous. When I try and reflect to them that it makes me feel disrespected and controlled, they become extremely distressed and act out emotionally.

How might I better handle a situation like that in a way that protects my autonomy while still being compassionate. Can you give an example?

I think it’s going to be extremely difficult. It’s very important to me that I act in a way that is kind towards others. I place a high value on kindness - its a core part of my self concept and acting authentically.

This is problematic. The person exhibiting control lacks insight into their controlling behaviours, and they persuade themselves that by doing things for me, they are being kind to me. By setting boundaries, even compassionately, I very often trigger feelings of abandonment and rejection in them, which they find very distressing.

An example: say the person controls my diet, by routinely buying food for me and cooking for me. They ignore that I have asked them not to, and insist that their behaviour is kind, thoughtful and generous. When I try and reflect to them that it makes me feel disrespected and controlled, they become extremely distressed and act out emotionally.

How might I better handle a situation like that in a way that protects my autonomy while still being compassionate. Can you give an example?
Navigating situations where setting boundaries may trigger feelings of abandonment or distress in the other person can indeed be challenging, especially when kindness and compassion are core values for you. It's important to remember that setting boundaries is a form of self-care and self-respect, necessary for maintaining your well-being and autonomy within the relationship. Balancing your compassionate nature with the need to assert your boundaries is key in fostering healthier dynamics while respecting the emotions of both parties.

In a scenario where the person controls your diet under the guise of kindness, while you feel disrespected and controlled, approaching the conversation with empathy and clarity can help facilitate understanding and communication. Here's an example of how you could address this issue:

"I appreciate your efforts to care for me by buying food and cooking, but I want to express that I value having autonomy over my choices, including what I eat. When you disregard my request not to control my diet, it makes me feel disrespected and undermines my sense of independence. I believe our relationship can be stronger if we both respect each other's boundaries and individual needs. I understand that this may be distressing for you to hear, and I want us to find a way to navigate this together that respects both of our feelings and autonomy."

By expressing your feelings and needs assertively yet compassionately, you convey your boundaries while acknowledging the emotions of the other person. Encouraging open dialogue, listening actively to their perspective, and seeking potential compromises can help foster a sense of mutual respect and understanding in the relationship. Remember that prioritizing your well-being and autonomy is not unkind but rather essential for maintaining healthy boundaries and self-respect.

How do you feel about incorporating aspects of this example into your own conversations with the individual, balancing your values of kindness and compassion with the need to assert boundaries and protect your autonomy?

What hormones are especially high in people with PTSD?
In individuals with PTSD, dysregulation of the stress response system can lead to altered levels of certain hormones. One primary hormone that is often elevated in individuals with PTSD is cortisol. Cortisol is a stress hormone produced by the adrenal glands in response to perceived threats or stressors. In individuals with PTSD, the dysregulation of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis can result in elevated levels of cortisol, disrupting the body's stress response system.

Additionally, individuals with PTSD may also experience fluctuations in other hormones such as adrenaline (epinephrine) and noradrenaline (norepinephrine), which are involved in the body's "fight or flight" response to stress. Imbalances in these hormones can contribute to symptoms such as hyperarousal, hypervigilance, and intrusive memories in individuals with PTSD.

Understanding the hormonal changes associated with PTSD can provide insights into the physiological underpinnings of the disorder and inform treatment approaches that target the regulation of stress hormones. Have you noticed any physical or physiological symptoms that may be related to the dysregulation of stress hormones in your experience with PTSD?

What impact does chronically high levels of cortisol have on the brain?
Chronically high levels of cortisol, which can occur in individuals with conditions like chronic stress, PTSD, or Cushing's syndrome, can have significant effects on the brain over time. Cortisol is known to play a crucial role in the body's stress response system, but prolonged elevation of cortisol levels can lead to various impacts on brain structure and function.

One of the primary effects of chronically high cortisol levels is the impairment of neuroplasticity, which is the brain's ability to adapt and reorganize in response to experiences. High cortisol levels can interfere with the formation of new neural connections, impacting learning, memory, and cognitive functions. This can manifest as difficulties in concentration, memory problems, and challenges in processing information efficiently.

Moreover, elevated cortisol levels have been linked to changes in the volume and function of certain brain regions, such as the hippocampus and prefrontal cortex. The hippocampus, important for memory and emotional regulation, is particularly vulnerable to the effects of prolonged cortisol exposure, potentially leading to reduced hippocampal volume and deficits in memory consolidation.

Chronic cortisol elevation can also disrupt the balance of neurotransmitters in the brain, affecting mood regulation and emotional processing. Changes in neurotransmitter levels, such as serotonin and dopamine, can contribute to symptoms of anxiety, depression, and emotional dysregulation commonly seen in individuals with PTSD or chronic stress.

Understanding the impact of chronically high cortisol levels on the brain highlights the importance of stress management, self-care practices, and therapeutic interventions aimed at regulating the body's stress response system. By addressing the physiological effects of elevated cortisol, individuals can work towards mitigating cognitive and emotional challenges associated with chronic stress.

How do you feel about these potential impacts of chronically high cortisol levels on the brain, and are there specific symptoms or challenges you have noticed in yourself that may be related to cortisol dysregulation in the context of PTSD?

Have their been any studies on the association between cortisol and dog ownership, or dog handling?
Research has indeed explored the association between cortisol levels and dog ownership or interactions with dogs, highlighting the potential benefits of the human-animal bond on stress regulation and well-being. Studies have shown that interacting with dogs, whether through ownership, petting, or other forms of contact, can have a positive impact on cortisol levels and stress response in humans.

For example, research has demonstrated that petting a dog can lead to a decrease in cortisol levels and an increase in oxytocin, a hormone associated with bonding and social connection. This interaction with dogs has been linked to reductions in perceived stress, anxiety, and physiological indicators of stress, such as heart rate and blood pressure.

Moreover, dog ownership has been associated with lower overall cortisol levels in response to stressors, suggesting that the presence of a dog in one's life may contribute to enhanced stress resilience and emotional regulation. The companionship, social support, and physical activity associated with dog ownership can all play a role in moderating the body's stress response system and promoting psychological well-being.

While more research is continuously being conducted in this area, current studies support the notion that interactions with dogs, whether through ownership or interaction, can have a calming and stress-reducing effect on humans. The human-animal bond cultivated through relationships with dogs can provide emotional support, companionship, and a sense of comfort that may help mitigate the physiological and psychological impacts of stress.

How do you feel about the potential benefits of interactions with dogs on cortisol levels and stress regulation, and have you noticed any personal experiences or observations that align with the positive effects of the human-animal bond in your own life?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back