• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Cop / Firefighter - Anyone Here Either of These Two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I am Canadian military police DD... not sure if that's exactly what you're after. Also, I am a family member rather than a sufferer of PTSD. However I'd be happy to answer any question if I'm able.

Cheers, Brian

Hey DD, Memphis cop here. Former volunteer firefighter and an EMT andddddddd Totally screwed up. I should be able to help. Shoot me a PM if you need to.

Terry

Hey guys thanks for the replies! I was wondering how PTSD has affected job performance. I am trying really hard to become a firefighter. I am in the process of becoming an EMT and going to start volunteering in an ER. Lately I have been doubting if it is possible because of how these departments might look at PTSD and/or how it affects everyday life while working in such a high paced job. As for my PTSD, I have it under "control" for the most part but who knows what might trigger me as I am still learning about my triggers and my med records are not readily available to anyone but the Department of defense, so I am not terribly worried about it poping up (but you never Know)!!

Don't worry bout what anybody else thinks. If it dealing with the system becomes a problem use the system to your advantage (ADA).

Hi DD.
Good luck in the Fire Department. But just be careful mate and don't overdo it. Afterall you still have ptsd. But also your military training should give you the disiplin for the job.
Cheers Buddy
Jock (Scott):occasion:

Fire fighter/EMT

DD,
Hi! I'm a Fire Fighter/EMT and an ex-911 dispatcher. Its a fun job being a fire fighter/EMT, you learn so much with a job that never stops. Granted not all the calls are "fun" but they are definately a learning experience.
An ER tech is a good position and depending on the requirements of the hospital your applying for, the job is relatively calm. Your main job would be checking patients in on the computers, gathering medical hx, taking BP, and pulses.
I am unfamilar with hospital's comaraderie, but I know that while Im working at the fire dept the guys are awsome and will get you through anything. They understand that things happen in our lives and that we can't handle or do every aspect of the job whether it be due to your physical or emotional being.
Good luck with your endeavors!
Casey

Hi there. I've nothing but admiration to all firefighters, especially the guys in FDNY. There bravery during 9/11 was truly awesome, they are a credit to your country. DD, you are a credit to your country as well for applying for this job. My local Fire Station had a open day and raised over £10,000 for the FDNY guys benevolent fund, and the Station Officer went over to the Remembrence Service as well. I'll raise a few beers to you mate.
Cheers
Scott:occasion: :occasion: :occasion: :occasion: :occasion:

Thank you all for your words of wisdom and encouragement. This is something I really have my heart set on. I am not sure if I had mentioned it but to me this is a kind of redemption for all the negativity I have seen. Almost like a way to right my wrongs.

The guys from the FDNY really do deserve all the admiration that they get. I am more than sure that they things that they experienced were enough to drive just about anyone mad.

Thank you all again!

DD

No problem DD, old buddie. We're all proud of you here, I wish I had your will power to beat PTSD and start again. Let us all know how you get on.
Cheers
Jock:occasion: :occasion: :occasion:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back