• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Coping strategies for intellectualism as avoidance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try using it to your advantage by running the same thought through different filters.

Academic, professional, blunt, friendly, warm & fuzzy, wordy, concise, storytime, highlights, journalistic, funny, diplomatic, etc.

When I’m very relaxed or just being me, I’m concise as hell & very straightforward. That works in the military crowd, but not very many other places. And it assumes a level of trust / that if someone wants to know more? They’ll ask. So in everyday life I have to run the same statement through different filters, depending on my audience. :wtf: Not my favourite thing in the world. I don’t like using 50 words where 1 will do. But when I’m distressed those same filters provide a lot of distance between “me” and what I’m thinking / talking about. Whilst still allowing me to think/talk about it. So sometimes I can’t help it (FFS, another novel), and other times I’m doing it deliberately.

But by practicing running it through different filters? It gives me a lot more control/self awareness when I can’t help it. Either as a TBI thing, or an avoidance thing.

Was flipping back through threads.....and found your "filters" and very smart concept. I think I grew up having to be transparant so I had no filters. I always saw filtering as "not quite telling the truth" and there is only one way to tell a storrrrrrrrrry.....all of it.....to be sure I didn't leave anything out and to tell the other guy I'm not a head-gamer.

I got to think about this a bit....is there any information on "filters" cause this is very black and white....either I tell as little as possible.....or all.....I hadn't thought of filters in the way you describe them......any literature out there on this topic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back