• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other Coping with national chaos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justmehere

Sponsor
My country is losing its ever loving mind at the moment. It’s happened before and it will pass. It’s going to be a rough go of it for a bit though. Who knows how long.

This is not a post about politics or what needs to happen in the US. Do not post that here please. I’ve had *enough* of that. The whole thing wrecks my heart.

Anyhow...

I’d like to know anything anyone does when sh*t hits the fan in your nation or area. It’s more than adon’t-watch-the-news strategy. Chaos is in my city and everyone I know is grappling with it and talking about it or in tears/panic over it. There have been friends in unsafe situations suddenly finding themselves in riot zones. (Everyone is ok.)

I have enough friends who lived through the 60s to know that it’s been like this before and it got better. It’s a matter of getting through to the other side.

I have no imminent safety needs, just emotional coping needs. I’m not quite doing enough as I’m jumpy as all get out and stopped eating much. Anxiety. Feeling stuck. My bent is to run to help, but I’m staying put because that’s where I need to be. Makes it harder to cope though.

What is helping you?

Last edited:
Im sorry I don't have any good advice of tools to help but you are in my thoughts. I know my heart hurts too. I am watching news a lot more than I probably should. I have been restless.

I soak up happenings like a damn sponge, be it near or far, and I find myself being heart sick even on the best of days, and even way before the virus and the latest issues.

I have to make myself not go to the newsfeeds as much, remain aware but not immersed, and try like hell to go to the garden, to a favorite chair in the sun for a little while to listen to the birds - the original tweeters, the mountain stream, the bath tub for a long soak or a soothing shower, go hug a tree, forage for things that benefit my health - which gives me an automatic project, jump on the mini-trampoline, grab a hula hoop, dance like a fool, sing at the top of my lungs, take a drive, take the camera for a walk, prep good-for-me foods so I won't keep grabbing what I know makes me feel worse, watch documentaries that teach me something fun/functional, watch mindless netflix that makes me laugh or at least escape the shit show that surrounds, and some days I just need to let myself cry and scream at the top of my lungs to release the anger/hurt/fear/rage/etc.

I also have to remind myself that if I feel like I'm not doing "it" right, that doesn't mean I'm doing it wrong, it just means my inner critic isn't skipping a damn beat regardless of what's happening.

There's no method to my madness, or my sadness, or anything in between. Apparently there's no method to the madness that surrounds us, either. May we all find an inner safe space to serve as an anchor. So much shit hitting so many fans.

Today it got a little hard to pull away from it all. It's showing up everywhere around me. I need human connection but if I connect to humans...

Today wasn't a great day for my own coping skills. Hoping for a reset tomorrow, and running away from things as soon as I can get my car fixed up and get a day away. With the sun, wind, lake water...

The lack of being able to go and sit with friends because of the pandemic is just compounding the difficulty coping.

Last edited:
I have no words of wisdom but feel for you.
We had riots here a few years ago that spilled over a few days and I felt on high alert. My home is my safe haven and it felt under attack (I actually stopped some young people trying to loot the shop I live above, and couldn't sleep with the worry of what might happen to my home if a fire started in the shop).

It's tough when it's around you and I agree turning off the news isn't enough.

Only thing I can say is: it will end. It will pass.

It is sad to see the things that are happening in our country these days, the injustice, the looting, and the unnecessary loss of human life are definitely saddening. One thing that really helps me with the things that are going on is to talk to God (pray about them). Sometimes, I write in my journal. Other times, it is a fervent verbal prayer (where I am most often). Another thing that helps is to pray with other people-the sense of community definitely helps too. Maybe some of that would be helpful for you as well?

I do what I can, where I am.

And depending on how much a chaos and where I'm mentally, talk to someone, get drunk, chain smoke, move it out / sports or MA, journal, watch flicks that help me not think of it or if can't switch tracks, process details of it until I know what got to me this time, sleep it off, draw, or... *scratches head, what else am lately doing*

Collect up contacts & who else to report what to / inquiries to make / follow up action plans. The next move, every case.

Because giving myself time to brood and sulk or worse, despair pop by and say hello, have a bad track record with me.

So action, action, on action if not action, flop down and chill with no worry for the world for a couple mins / hours / days / whatever, but nah to letting depression get an upper hand.

What can you do?
What are you willing to do?
Do that.
Reconcile the two.

Bonus points for
- Not caring about anything you’re not willing to do.
- Not wearing blinders (meaning keep multiple targets/goals in mind, when deciding what you’re willing to do. Don’t sacrifice one thing you care about, on accident, so focused on something else you care about. If you’re going to make a sacrifice? Do it eyes open, and rated accordingly. >>> Case in this point? A lot of people who value their own health, and the health of the people they care about, tossed it aside to go be a part of these riots/demonstrations. If they did that on purpose? That’s a decision well made. For their own reasons. If they just got swept up? That’s a shame, and a pity, that they lost sight of what was important to them, for a moment’s excitement.)

Last edited:
I want to do more. I’m ready to do more. Can I do more? Should I do more? Questions without clear answers at the moment.

Sounds it may be a thing to try on to see if the shoe fits?

Volunteering, part timers, couple of hours a gig here and there, while you test the waters & your own preferences and limits?

Waters well tested, carry the scars for it... Just not sure. Not sure at all, my weary soul could take it.

One therapist said that she was trained “you only get one major national disaster.” I.e. limiting crisis volunteering is a good way to prevent burn out. But I’m not her. I’m me.

Of course I don’t have to jump right into the middle of it all and I’m looking at some options that are not so dangerous but bold. I have to find study in a hurry for my job anyhow - it’s about to cook up a little. But I want to do something else. There’s something else I’m looking at, that I want to do, but could also be my kryptonite.

For now I’m waiting and trying to burn off the stress I feel. Time to go for a walk. Another walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back