• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Couldn't finish MRI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defaultxlove

MyPTSD Pro
The neurologist and my primary doctor believe I have dissociative disorder and PNES which is psychogenic non epileptic seizures.

I had an MRI that I lasted maybe 5-10 mins I don't even know because the noises triggered me so bad I was using coping skills for however long I lasted and then the noises changed to deep low noises and the noises were so unpredictable I started feeling like I was gonna black out. I squeezed the ball she asked how I was doing I said no I hate this and they got me out. I bursted into tears 😑

Now I feel like I failed and now the doctor won't know what they need to know. They assured me it's ok. But I had another dissociative seizure like response yesterday due to something else.

Maybe it was too close to an episode?

Has this happened to anyone else?

I went from coping to emergency like a light switch when the noises changed. Cn they use pics from a partial mri?

Thanks

I'm sorry that happened. I have an MRI for Saturday. I've had it one other time. I remember the noises and I know it was *really* hard to deal with so I get it. You didn't fail. Other people have had the same issue. They may be able to use the partial MRI. They are certainly going to do their best to work with you. You are the patient and your needs matter.

I'm sorry that happened. I have an MRI for Saturday. I've had it one other time. I remember the noises and I know it was *really* hard to deal with so I get it. You didn't fail. Other people have had the same issue. They may be able to use the partial MRI. They are certainly going to do their best to work with you. You are the patient and your needs matter.
Thanks Muttly

No shame in being overwhelmed @Defaultxlovee. Happens to everyone. It is worse when its surprising. I would work through some of the things that bothered you with your T. If you can narrow it down they may be able to change something so they don't put you in the same place again.

I have found almost everyone I have dealt with since I understood what my trauma was has been wonderful. I'm a real pain for most of them because my trigger spot is on the right and everyone is set up to work from that side. Still, they are willing to accommodate, and most enjoy the challenge of doing something different and figuring out how to avoid unwanted stress.

Generally triggered is a term for a high stress reaction to a person, actions, a place, a smell that triggers other PTSD symptoms. They can be different from person to person but generally they have a direct connection to the trauma event. When triggered most people with PTSD go non-functioning. They may have flashbacks and other memory events. In turn that can cause nightmares, dissociating, migraines, body memories, recalled pain, and a list of other things that follow that event.

Triggered is bad...

Has this happened to anyone else?

I went from coping to emergency like a light switch when the noises changed.
Yep yep.

Dealing with triggers and stressors is a really normal part of PTSD.

Stressor vs. Trigger - What Is A Trigger?
^^^ Explains a lot more about that, a lot better than I could ^^^

If you DO have a seizure disorder, on top of having PTSD? Stress is also something that tends to exacerbate seizure activity. Any time a person has 2 disorders that share symptoms? It can make learning to differentiate which is which, and how, and how best to manage either & both… even more difficult than following that sentence 😉 Because it complicates things.

So, hopefully it’s just PTSD doing it’s thing, in response to stress (see StressCup), stressors, & triggers. But if not? Comorbidity with other disorders and conditions makes things more complicated, but is also quite common, and there are a lot of ways and means to learning to manage those aspects.

Yep yep.

Dealing with triggers and stressors is a really normal part of PTSD.

Stressor vs. Trigger - What Is A Trigger?
^^^ Explains a lot more about that, a lot better than I could ^^^

If you DO have a seizure disorder, on top of having PTSD? Stress is also something that tends to exacerbate seizure activity. Any time a person has 2 disorders that share symptoms? It can make learning to differentiate which is which, and how, and how best to manage either & both… even more difficult than following that sentence 😉 Because it complicates things.

So, hopefully it’s just PTSD doing it’s thing, in response to stress (see StressCup), stressors, & triggers. But if not? Comorbidity with other disorders and conditions makes things more complicated, but is also quite common, and there are a lot of ways and means to learning to manage those aspects.
Thank you very much!! I have to look into all you said

I used to work at an imaging center, and I have had multiple MRIs - had brain surgery in 2006 and I have a LOT of back pain. Your reaction to the MRI is not unusual and happens all the time to folks who DON'T have any triggers.

5-10 minutes is not long for an MRI of the brain, and they likely have some images, but not enough to get an understanding if something is going on.

Don't feel bad; this happens to lots of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back