• All donations and upgrades are manually verified and approved within 24hrs.
  • Upgrades are ongoing. Learn how to save your bookmarked posts.

Covid/Lockdown accomplishments, have you used the time to your advantage?

Thread starter #1
I always have played the guitar. I used to beat on it lol. My wife said she used to hate listening to me because I was beating on it which I passed through and I "let myself" play it. I doubt if I'll ever play it in front of anyone? Stage fright. During lockdown however I got an idea I wanted to take the time and play it which I have. Right now 2 hours continuous "practice" which I don't even really know what that means since I'm in charge, is nothing. Not only that, I like it. Can i say that? I'm accomplishing something, more than playing a video game for instance which I gave up so I could play my instrument instead, and I like it. Naturally I feel guilty. Doing anything you want to do and be good at for me is all or nothing because if I let anything else interfere, I won't do it. But I'm in love. I play it and I really give myself to it. My wife says she doesn't mind hearing me play it anymore and other compliments, not always, but often enough. I like to play it in the third person meaning I like people to listen when I'm in the other room so I'm not really an active participant, like background or elevator music. Anyway I decided once we locked down I was going to study the modes of the major scale and i did it. I am working on "shred" and I need an electric guitar to do that really but I'm doing it anyway on the acoustic because I "just do it and it plays itself". I'm the vehicle, that's all. Whatever i can play is because the guitar lets me or it taught me. But I gave it my time during lockdown and It's payed off. : )

In spite of it all, has it resulted in anything good? If not I hope it will.

Growing and preserving more herbs, "weeds", fruits, and veggies and learning more about the herbal/plant/mushroom world via online mentoring and such. So much is so freely accessible and I used to pay it no mind, until I was left without much of a choice.

It's stuff I already grew to love and actively did after a drastic health intervention and past hellish allopathic methods/experiences pointed me in that direction, but I'm much more invested now that I feel it's more important than ever to be able to grow and safely identify edible and medicinal plants and such.

Every time I think I already know something, I discover there's so much more to know. I stay fascinated and grateful, too, because I used to not be able to keep houseplants or a cactus alive, but now I keep amazing myself. Paying it forward when we have an abundance is one of the biggest highs I get from it.

Thread starter #5
I taught myself the modes of the major scale. I developed my own method or one I have not seen yet. I set out to memorize the patterns which is kinda the wrong way but it reversed engineered itself with practice and I just “got” them inadvertently, by ear.

If I had used the patterns and started with the roots, that would have been the correct way, but my learning is backwards/ visual, almost dyslexic.

But the roots came out in the sounds and during the week this week I just started playing from the roots because I “heard” that that’s what I’d been trying to do.

My playing is all like that, I hear the beginnings of something and I just keep practicing and it takes forever, but then I’m like “ oh, that was what I was trying to do. I just didn’t know it till now.

I’ve been working on a strumming rhythm that’s quiet complex and I found a ragtime pianist doing a piece on YouTube and I was like that’s it, I’m trying to play ragtime piano on the guitar.

Before the virus, I was volunteering at two public libraries, two agricultural farms, and a food pantry.

Although I can't volunteer at the libraries right now thanks to the pandemic, I'm still able to volunteer at the farms and the pantry.

Focusing on my volunteer jobs is something that has helped my cope with the new normal. So that's good!

Thread starter #7
I am cutting my own hair. I’m not sure it’s a really great idea because I’m not really sure how it looks. I think it looks good. ?

How I look is a monstrous trigger but it’s gotten less which is a benefit of age. I’m not saying I don’t care, but I certainly don’t care as much.

I always hated the haircuts I got and they never did what I wanted and it was getting to the point I was having to restrain myself from yelling at them and I hate barber shops and I hate having to get new people to do it. I’m not difficult or anything. : )
I also don’t have to say, my hair is thinning right there, or I have a cow lick back there so be careful, or can you fix it, which they would ignore anyway. Now I can just fix it myself. I was having to go home and fix it half the time anyway.

So we got locked down and you couldn’t get a haircut so that was the excuse I needed to get rid of something I really didn’t like at all and for now I’m getting away with it.

Thread starter #9
I learned to finger pick thumb, third, second first on guitar. I thought I was getting pretty good at fingerpicking but I was waiting for it to “turn into something “. I had a little bit of a hard time because I have not learned much in guitar by forcing it. The technique shock is basic finger style for classical guitar requires doing it in the proper order. I have to do things like that by not thinking about it. It was hard because no matter what you are doing with the fretboard hand , the picking hand plays the same pattern. There are a lot of variations but once you get the basic movement the rest comes naturally and with the rhythm in particular.

But it’s really exciting for me because it’s taken a direction of its own and it’s great to be learning new stuff just by discovering it. I found a YouTube channel because I had put the time in on the modes of the major scale and I was searching for techniques related to that and I doubt I’d have done any of it if we hadn’t been locked in the house for three months.

Great post! Thank you.

I double up my therapy since I saved time on transit. and since socializing has been compromised, I played enough tennis to last me life time...

Top Bottom