1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpl. william p. draughon - judge finds va negligence led to vet’s suicide

Discussion in 'Military & Emergency Services' started by LuckiLee, Mar 20, 2018.

1. LuckiLee

LuckiLee I'm a VIP

This is a very sad story unfortunately it's common. This young man (28yo) suffered from PTSD, alcoholism, and was also suicidal after a tour to Iraq. He reached out to the VA and hit obstacle after obstacle. He was in and out for treatment a few times.

His parents sued the U.S. government for liability of their son's death. Stating the VA was responsible for his neglect and suicide. And they WON!

Thank you Judge Robinson of Kansas!!

Head bent and prayers sent!

XO

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Freida

Freida Been There, Done That, Lived to Tell the Story Premium Member

I feel such mixed feelings. I'm so happy his parents won...I'm so sad they ever had a case...I hate that the VA screws up like this....I wish this would get the attention of our government so they would fund the VA....

so many thoughts...

4. LuckiLee

LuckiLee I'm a VIP

I think the VA has the President's attention. He's trying to make changes but it's been broken for so long...

AngelkeeperJ/AKJ and ladee like this.
  5. Zoogal

Zoogal I'm a VIP

My cousin might still be alive if he hadnt been ignored by the VA when he told them he needed help.

6. LuckiLee

LuckiLee I'm a VIP

Wait a minute!!! @Freida, did you say you have mixed "feelings"? Feelings?? Girl, you're growing in leaps and bounds!! Lol

XO

7. LuckiLee

LuckiLee I'm a VIP

I'm so sorry @Zoogal.

What makes me mad is these are the people who we're brave enough to ask for help and it wasn't there for them.

Not all the veterans hospitals are bad. My guy gets great treatment. However, he does have to fight for it sometimes.

AngelkeeperJ/AKJ, ladee and Zoogal like this.
  8. Zoogal

Zoogal I'm a VIP

There is no excuse for people that put their lives on the line to HAVE to fight for it. It should just be there. Period.

AngelkeeperJ/AKJ likes this.
  9. Freida

Freida Been There, Done That, Lived to Tell the Story Premium Member

hes making alot of promises but not adding any funding. His plan for mental health for all the newbees getting out is to end disability payments to vets over 65 since they can apply for social security. Which sounds good until you realize that its about a $2500 a month pay cut for them.

LOL - ya saw that huh??

AngelkeeperJ/AKJ, ladee and LuckiLee like this.