• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Medical Cptsd from a psychiatrist; now 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been telling every one of my treatment team members that I have Post-traumatic stress from long-term psychiatric negligence. I must have upset my new psychiatrist, and now he purposefully re-traumatized me. I’m currently so Ill that I need meds/counseling but I’m so afraid to go back. I don’t even know what my rights are and therefore the best way to hold him accountable. No one I’ve reached out to really appreciates what he did. Can anyone relate (and maybe offer suggestions)? Thank you.

I know you said you've been telling others that you have PTSD, but have you gone for an official diagnosis?

If you have one, it could help your case in court. But the way you worded that is slightly confusing

Your intro states you had sexual abuse so I’m guessing that’s where your ptsd came from.

I’m not sure why you’re stating it comes from psychiatric negligence here.

How were you re-traumatized by your doctor?

Without actual proof it’s difficult to hold a doctor accountable. You can report him to his governing body (whomever monitors doctors), but beyond that it’s not likely that you’ll get any recourse (without proof).

How do you get PTSD from long term psychiatric negligence? Did this happen as a child?

My psychiatrist refused to consider any other psychiatric diagnoses and continued to force me to take the wrong meds. She kept me drugged and ill so I didn’t even realize what she had done until I was off the meds after she retired. The original trauma began from undiagnosed ADHD and sexual abuse.

I know you said you've been telling others that you have PTSD, but have you gone for an official diagn...

A PTSD diagnosis had recently been added by the doctor that used my previous trauma to re-traumatize me. The psychiatrist and my counselors failed to follow the Trauma-Infomed Care protocols after they added the diagnosis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible that she was unintentionally negligent? Im saying it kindly, please know. You're attributing a lot of power to this person, when we sometimes forget that medical "professionals" are capable of mistakes as well. Malpractice is common in the medical community. Why do you believe she was so cunning and deliberately cruel in her treatment of you? Just asking to better understand is all

The hubby and I went to her with our concerns (several times) that something wasn’t right. She appealed to her authority as the “doctor” who knew best. I tried rationalizing her behavior for years. I believe that she was frustrated because none of the meds worked so she just phoned it in. I never filed a complaint about her because I, too, doubted that she intended to hurt me. I believe she was just negligent.

How did your current doctor retraumatize you?

I apparently angered him last November and over the next 2 visits he was progressively more passive-aggressive and finally triggered me. I knew I couldn’t go to the next appointment alone, so my counselor went with me as my advocate. That pushed him over the edge and he became antagonistic and very specifically re-traumatized me. The counselor (not mine anymore) just shook her head and rolled her eyes but said nothing. I wonder if he treats his coworkers the same and that’s why she said nothing...? I’ve since heard that he has a reputation for being “inappropriate”.

I'm so sorry that happened...

I hope you've gotten a new doctor. There's nothing I can think of to fix it except to change doctors to someone who is more comfortable, and perhaps leave a complaint to management if you can.

EMDR may be able to help relieve some of the stress this is related to, but remember that you're safe.

The hubby and I went to her with our concerns (several times) that something wasn’t right. She appe...

I'm sorry you're struggling. This sounds to me like every single doctor I've ever had, although I've see a couple who actually committed malpractice.

What I've learned over many, many years is that generally doctors truly are just "practicing" medicine and other doctors will always protect them. The best - only - thing we can do is advocate for ourselves and research the h*ll out of everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back